1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My venture into the unholy depths of the 6 string bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Angus, Aug 29, 2000.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

another thing you might consider is drop tuning the regular 6 by maybe a full step or maybe a 1 1/2 step. the markley strings would be excellent for that tuning - the .150" works really well for a G#, but just the tiniest bit flappy for an F#, in my experience. so that would be G#-C#-F#-B-E-A for the 6 string. good gauges of strings would be .150"-.135"-.115"-.095"-.075"-.055"

unless you wanted to get a whole new rig, or at least a sub woofer, the G# would probably be choice for ya. the string/fretboard layout would be sorta weird at first, but you're a smart kid, you could get it down no time. :D

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thats strange tuning for a guy whos plays with guitarists who tune EADGBE! Actually, i dont know...the .150 for the F# should work pretty good for now...it IS a 36"...but dont know if Dean Markley makes those. Id love to know Carl Thompson makes good strings for an F#...that will determine whether i change the nut out or not. I wont if they arent any good/cant do it.

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dean markley's strings will work on a 36" scale instrument - on my 35"ers they have over an inch left before the silk. so that's an option.

as for having a different tuning than the guitarist, that's not really a bad thing, is it - i mean you don't want to be playing the same thing he is anyway, right ? :D

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, nono, im no root note player! But itd be weird! Especially getting used to it. It feels funny (i tuned the Modulus down to that), but i dont mind the harmonic content of it. But its weird! The guitarists use the tuning BFBFBB occasionally...so its weird enough when THEY tune differently.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    keep experimenting, angus, like you're doing. that's the quickest way to an original voice.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I would suggest going for a used TRB6P - these are much better all round than the JP in my opinion and they have an ebony fingerboard which to me, is the best material for this. The TRB6Ps are no longer made, but I've seen a few come up for sale at reasonable rices on BassNW. They also have piezo pickups in the bridge and are neck through construction, whereas the JP is bolt-on. I also prefer the wood choice for the TRB6P - all maple with mahogany. A lot of serious players use these and they are always coming up in bios in Bass Player mag.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    But theyre becoming pretty rare, so they dont show up often. Which sucks. Otherwise, id probably take a look at it. Yeah, the JP is a bolt-on, but i love its sound, so i could cope. Though i think the Tune is still in first place.

John, of course! But detuning SO much isnt for me, in not into the telephone chords, especially with the way i play.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    was the jp always a bolt-on? i seem to remember seeing some neck-throug, but that might've been just the regular trb6. i played a trb6 in toronto a few years ago - would've ended up costing me about US$700 considering the exchange rate. it was quite an excellent instrument

if only it had 7 strings :D

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

It was the TRB6P which was neck-though - as I mentioned in my last post. The TRBJP was designed as bolt-on - don't know why. Only 1 character different, so they are often lumped together.

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, ok, well then i definitely played a trb6p. that was a real nice bass, although the spacing was pretty wide - the nut on that 6 was probably as wide as the nuts are on some of my 7's. i coulda probably refitted it with a new nut, new bridge, and an extra tuner, and gotten a good 7 string out of it. now i know for next time. :D

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    What was the problem with the Peaveys? I hadn't heard of any issues with them from people I know.

12. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The problem is that BassNW isn't a Peavey dealer and they can't sell him one. ;)

13. Mr Socko

Mr Socko

Mar 1, 2000
    May I be so bold as to ask, just what constitutes "a ton of problems" with the Cirrus basses? I have a 6 string and I love it. I have heard many positive comments on the bass and very few on the negative side. Does Evan sell Peavy as well as Yamaha? If not, I guess my question is answered. Any production bass is bound to vary in overall quality, but come on, a ton of problems? I don't believe it!

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I emailed him and asked for clarification, and he said that the wood is extremely incosistent, and the electronics etc arent up to par for the price, and theyve had several customers with problems with them, etc. He said he could order one though. So there.

And he didnt recommend a Yamaha! He hasnt recommended anything yet! Im going there thursday or friday, so ill figure out what to do then, hopefully. I think i could get a deal on the Tune...hell, i did buy a freaking $3k Modulus. :)

EDIT: He also said that getting perfect ones happens too, so not all of them have inconsistencies. But its too high of a percentage to bother (no flames people, a 5% chance could be too high, so dont think anyone said theyre all bad.) It doesnt matter...because of what he said, I can probably get the tune they have there!

[Edited by MegaAngus on 08-30-2000 at 03:38 PM]

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Just making sure thread doesnt die!

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    LOL...BUT ITS FRETLESS!!!

::cries::

Actually, i almost got the Signature 5 at bass nw a while ago!

17. So!? If you're gonna get a six, go ALL the way! Fretless!!! IT'S BEAUTIFUL, MAN! ;)

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, take a hint, notice im selling my fretless! ;)

19. Erm....guess I didn't realize that! Anyway, I was just ribbin' ya ;)

That is a pretty Toby, though, ain't it?