1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My venture into the unholy depths of the 6 string bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Angus, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, definitely! Me like fretted though! :)

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that is a nice tobias. very impressive. before i every heard of conklin, i was hot for tobias, big time. i had a chance to play tim bogert's 6 string tobias when the namm show was in atlanta in july of '88. in fact, he was the reason that i got that crazy idea of tuning my 7's like a guitar - he had his 6 with a high b. that always stuck with me. when i was ready to finally buy a 6 string, though, tobias had changed hands, and i didn't like what i saw.

still though, i've always loved tobiases.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    High B? Guitar tuning? GUITARIST! ;)

4. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    The only time when I've even considered buying a six string was when I tried out Neuser Cloudburst 6 string. So if I were you MegaAngus I'd at least check out http://www.neuserbasses.com. The cheaper models are ugly, but Courage and cloudburst models are really great. I've been thinking about getting rid of my Conklin 7 string and custom ordering a neuser 7 or 8 string..

[Edited by Tuomas on 08-31-2000 at 02:38 PM]

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, did you check out their clawhammerbass? pretty cool - sorta like a hammered dulcimer/bass.

6. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I've actually tried that clawhammerbass out. I likea it. It's just that I like normal bass sound more so it kinda lost it's meaning, the clawhammer thing I mean.

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    GEEZ, that Tobias is a doll.

Almost enough to swear a fella off his Carvin... (all I'd need is $1350)

But I gotta get an Ashbory next.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I GOT MY 6 STRING! On the way to my cousins wedding today, we stopped in at Bass Northwest and bought that Tune. That thing rules. Its the most comfortable 6 ive ever played. And...i sold my Growler. It is no longer in my posession. Itll be selling at the Bass Northwest site in a couple days for either $1000 or $1100.

Man, i love this 6 string. Its neckthru...which ive come to love. But...i hate recessed straploks...its so damn hard to get the strap onto the bass (when standing up)! And this thing is HEFTY. Im guessing it weighs between 11-13 pounds. Its HEAVY. But i like it.

Cool thing is...is it was owned my Keith Horne! (At least, thats what Evan Sheeley thinks. Ill know next week) It was sent her by some famous nashville guy...he doesnt remember who, but thats who he thinks it was. So ill know next week!

So ill tell you how it goes tomorrow! Havent gotten a chance to play it much...but its awesome!!! No problems with neck size, at all! I LOVE it. Its so much better up close!

Anyone know what kind of strings have black silk windings? I LOVE the strings it has on it...and im not sure what they are. Im thinking Pedulla, but im not sure.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    black silk windings are probably labella hard rockin steels. pretty good strings, i used to use custom sets before i started using the markleys.

congrats on your six, angus, good for you :D

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Really? Thanks John! This things RULE. I love them.

Man, ive been sitting here playing this...its AWESOME. Talk about tons of chord possibilities! Ohhhh man, its gonna be cool when i take it to band practice!

Oh, and John, i figured out Benoits bassist. Havent emailed him yet, but his name is Dean Taba.

11. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Congrats, Mega! That is a cherry bass, really sweet. But remember... the Modulus needs your love now, too. It will get jealous of it's new competition.

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Oh man...i think ive found my calling...and it has 6 strings! I just played my Modulus...it feels more and more like a big crayon. Uh-oh! I dont know what to do now!!!!

13. Hey Angus-

I warned you, didn't I??? ;)

It's addictive having that C string, ain't it????? :D

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Oh man...im soooo glad i bought this bass. Not just a 6 string...i mean this bass in particular. This is the BEST bass ive ever tried...ever. Ive played like every Fodera, Modulus, Warwick, Zon, etc, etc...and this beats them ALL. My god...my BACKUP bass is better than my main one...uh oh! Im not sure what to do...i want a Modulus 6! Maybe i work out a full trade with them...geeeez...but i LOVE 6 strings...5 is just weak. But geeez, this Tune...has the best B string by far of any instrument ive ever tried. Doesnt quite have the harmonic consistency of the Modulus...but no wood instrument would. But yeah...6 strings is where its at. Completely...now if i could just get a Modulus 6...then id be content! But wow, this Tune is just awesome! Too bad they dont make them anymore. Its really cool, its one of the only basses that uses TITANIUM as a stiffener/support, instead of graphite/steel. And it sounds awesome! The action is SUPER low, and theres NO buzzing. Every string sounds incredible. This is just a f***in fantastic bass. I was weary of spending the money, cuz this came out of MY pocket, but it was money WELL spent. Annnnd, if came with a big leather gig bag, and it has a bright blue hippie lining! It rules. 6 strings is WHERE its at.

15. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Come on, Mega....don't hold back....tell us how you really feel.....:)
    Hey...congrats on a great bass!!!!

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thanks! I love this thing.

And theres a 6/7 chance Jt will be proud! 6 is where its at.