1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My very first bass cover

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by caleb5991, Feb 27, 2008.

1. caleb5991

caleb5991

Jan 1, 2008
    Kansas

well anyways this is my first one, been playing for 3 months with no lessons, which you will be able to tell lol. The song isnt that hard... i mess up some places, but please give me some tips and stuff so i can get better. thanks.

2. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Try to put your thumb on the back of the neck and work on using all fingers . Open your hand up a bit and get all the other fingers involved.

3. Just J

Just J Guest

Jul 27, 2007
    ^^ Try to work on the 1 Finger per Fret rule (start higher on the neck doing scales then work your way down... your hand will probably cramp up, but keep at it). After you get it down better you'll get rid of all that wasted motion and be more fluid. Looks like you could play that initial lick without shifting, or at least not jumping around as much as you do.

4. +1:bassist:

5. All good suggestions so far, plus get in the habit of using all of your strings. You don't show your right hand. Pick or fingers? If fingers, which one(s) and how many are being used?

For 3 months you don't sound bad at all, and your timing seems to be solid.

6. kevmc28

kevmc28

Feb 28, 2008
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    Good luck. Keep at it.
    Bass players are like nurses - underappreciated but always in demand.

7. caleb5991

caleb5991

Jan 1, 2008
    Kansas
    thanks for the tips. im using my fingers by the way... my thumb and index finger to pick, i actually have never used a pick yet...

8. Just J

Just J Guest

Jul 27, 2007
    Not a bad technique to know (I use my thumb for pedals a lot), but you might want to work on using your index and middle (or index, middle, ring, or all 4). You'll get a more even tone, and probably be able to play a little quicker. Plus it frees up your thumb to mute the low strings.

You're fingers should litterally walk across the strings. Just click on your metronome and 1-2-1-2-1-2 till you get comfortable. Then you can work on string crossing, scales and all that fun stuff.

Check this out:
    http://www.bassplayer.com/article/alternate-fingering-string/jan-08/33239

There's an article in the December 07 issue with some simpler exersizes if you can find it.

Not bad for 3 months. :bassist:

9. caleb5991

caleb5991

Jan 1, 2008
    Kansas
    thanks. yeah i try to practice alot and still need to learn the fundamentals but ive been practicing alot =/. =O