Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My very first (bass) family

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by natrab, Feb 10, 2004.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    As some of you may know, I am a relatively new bass player. I played bass for about 2 years casually and I only owned one bass until up until November, when I started playing in a couple bands and got serious about bass. Since then, I've created a nice little collection of basses. Here's a little timeline:

November 28th - My dad and I see Bela Fleck and Victor Wooten at the Fillmore. The next day, we stop at the GC San Francisco and end up falling in love with a bass (my dad's a bass player). After playing it for about 8 hours, we jump on it and buy it. My dad gives it to me for a Christmas/Birthday present (my b-day is Dec. 19th, bleh).

Thus the Fender 75 RI becomes mine.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After that I purchased a new bass amp, my mesa 2000. I passed my Ampeg SVP-Pro on to my dad along with buying him a Stewart world 1.2 and making him a nice little bass amp for his new Avatar b210. I also bought an SX SJB-62MG Fretless for him as he hasn’t had a new bass in quite a while.

Ah the season of giving.

After that I decided to make a purchase for myself. I buy an SX SJB-75 Sunburst Ash J-bass and I absolutely love it. It’s not quite up to par with my Fender ’75, however it will definitely do for layin around on the couch or practice.

Here's a pic from Rondo:

[​IMG]

That same week I happened upon a used Lakland Skyline 55-01 and decided to take the leap (as I got it for the right price).

[​IMG]

Two weeks later, my dad buys (by my suggestion) a Brice HXB-405 nat. bass. He decides he doesn’t want to move to 5 and it becomes mine (though he still owns half of it :p).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Lastly, I create a punk band with my friend. After visiting the practice of another local punk band I know, I learned of the wonders of Danelectro. I needed that tone. After a couple weeks of searching, I happened upon Danoguitars.com and bought myself a beautiful Hodad bass. One week ago it arrived.

[​IMG]

I really feel like my family of basses is complete. Two five strings, three four strings, what more do I need (don't answer that). As far as my learning of bass goes it’s all been exponential so far. While I am new to bass I am not new to music. I’ve played sax since the fourth grade and guitar for about 5 years now. I had pretty decent bass technique for being self taught but after watching a John Patitucci video I spend a few weeks improving it. Also playing ska bass lines really got my chops up ( http://san.phez.net/spsamples ).

A big thanks to TB for turning me on to SX and Laklands and for all the other information I've found (such as how to set up my basses and get them playing like I want them to). This place is invaluable.

Finally, here's a pic of my old bass rig:

[​IMG]

2. Great looking family. How does the Brice HXB thing play? :meh:

3. That looks a lot like my bass :p How's yours play? I have Fender CS60s in mine so it's more than good for an SX.

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    It's a great bass. It came in dire need of setup, but after some fret filing and truss rod adjustent it played like a dream. Still not as good as my Fender but a close second.

The Brice HXB plays beautifully. I don't like the string spacing between the D and the G, however it's not too bad. Just makes slapping a bit more tedious.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Feh! My dad's a hippie guitar player who's happy with his current stuff.. (Just a 1977 Gibson SG and my peavey 35 watt guitar amp).. He has a 1962 Fender Deluxe Reverb, but he never uses that. When it comes to me buying stuff, he just loans money to me :p. Do you think your dad will mind if I start calling him Uncle :p.

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    My dad also plays guitar however he's a bit more of a collector. He's got a '52 ES-175 and a 60s ES-335. An old L-7 as well as a 70s Epiphone Emporer. He also has a pre-cbs Twin Reverb and Super Reverb, and he rarely uses those.

I feel really lucky to have a musical family I have friends who have had to come up to being a musician from families that don't appreciate it at all, and it's much harder.