Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My very first bass!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Not sure what heading to put this under - could be basses, could be gig stories, could be misc. Trying misc......

The Nerve played a b'day party tonight for an old friend of ours. Many years ago I sold this guy my first bass, a Fender Mustang. Tonight as a birthday gift to me (it's my b'day this month also), he gave it back to me!!!!!!!!! I almost cried. I'm not even that close with the guy - but he said he never plays it, and knows how much I loved it. Damn! It was so totally completely unexpected. I am a really greatful guy this evening.

PS. Just wanna say too that what goes around really does come around. He chose to have his party at a place we were already booked to play. We generally get the cover at the door. Since he was inviting around 60 people he wanted to pay for them individually (out of his pocket) and give them free passes to get in. We told him to just give them passes and don't worry about the money, we'd play for free as our gift to him. We were happy to just have all the extra people. I was expecting nothing in return - I wound up with my old Fender Mustang. Just gotta say DAMN!!! one more time.

2. Dude, thats really cool!

But I vowed never to get rid of my very first bass, a 96 Squier P.

Happy birthday, too.

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Joe that really was cool of the guy. I on the other hand hope to never see my first bass. A Crestline poor poor copy of a Fender P.

I wouldn't mind seeing my first REAL bass again, an off white 60's Fender Jazz, but alas, someone else decided long ago to get rid of it for me. :mad: :mad:

Peace,

James

4. Now that's a hell of a story. Restores my faith in people - good on you, Joe.

allan

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    That guy is really cool.Just wondering,did he give it to you because he stopped playing bass,or does he have other basses and is just giving it back to you?

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    He has no other basses - plays guitar and said he never touches the bass - it just hangs on his wall.

7. Man, you must have cultivated some stellar karma over the years... congrats to you!! My first bass was a rick 4001 copy made by a company called Aspen.. I would love to have that bass back. I don't even recall if it was that spectacular or not. I just remember how great it felt when I got it and when I learned my first songs on it... AHHHHHHHH

8. Well, I still have my second bass, it's retired now, but I still have it. Sat in a case, in the corner of my room. Sigh

sim