1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My very own [sfx] Stage 4 custom tone shaper

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lebowsky, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    A while ago, I started this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/threads/lower-frequencies-boost.1063554/

Basically, I believe I have found my definite fuzz with the Malekko Diabolik, but I find it lacking some subs in its output (unlike other fuzzes). It's not lacking low-end at all, but I don't really like the eq of its output. Well I like it, but it's lacking a bit of kick-in-the-stomach lows.

I wanted a pedal in micro format to put after it. I looked at the [sfx] micro eq and asked Max if he thought it could accomplish what I wanted. He said maybe, but after a few e-mail exchanges, where I explained what I liked about those other fuzzes like the Tonebender and Pickle Pie, we ended up signing a custom deal. This is what came out of it:

stage4.

This is basically the output filter circuit of a Tonebender-like fuzz, with some added goodness. As described by Max himself:

I tested it tonight. I had a few difficulties fiddling with it at first, but settled with setting the shape to max and enabling the subs :D It gives some VERY NICE additional b:ass to the Diabolik. And the best of it all: it gives a great clean sound for fingerstyle, very dubby on the low D! Very useful, as I have my amp EQ rather mids-boosted and play most of the time with a pick. It gives me a great choice of sounds.

I am a very happy customer :hyper:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Cool, always happy to see Max solving our problems with class!

Silent Fly and ryansalmond like this.
  3. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    additional infos from Max:

Silent Fly and Mosfed like this.