1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Video Demo Of The EHX Q-tron+ XO Envelope Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There hasn't been many reviews on this pedal yet, and I couldn't get back to sleep this morning, so I decided to throw this one together. You can tell I haven't spent quite enough time with it yet when I turn to settings that I haven't even tried yet :D

Near the end I also put an MXR Blowtorch in front of it and give a couple samples of the synth-y mix of the two. It was supposed to be a short video, but ended up 16 minutes long-sorry. It's a very nice filter- hope the demo helps show that a bit.

Part 1 on YouTube
    Part 2 on YouTube

2. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    "It's very early in the morning, and in addition to that, I SUCK"

Hahahaha :D

Nice review! I had the original Q-Tron for ages, but got rid of it once I got the AF-9. A few purchases later and I'm sticking with my Mu-Tron III :)

3. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    fairly thorough and nicely done review! flipped thru some of your other vids and enjoyed watching "hungry". good job, man!

4. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Very nice review. This is the kind of tweaking and playing I wanted to hear from the QTron.

5. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    that sounds awesome, i was considering this or the meatwad. i think i may dig this a little more. thanks

6. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Damn!!! Before watching this I was fairly certain that I wanted one of these. Now I am 100% certain. I am going to have to buy one! I'm just hoping that no one is going to do a similar review of a DOD FX25...

7. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    Nice Demo Bryan! Thanks.

There is only one thing I can't understand about EHX... why do they have to make their pedals so big? :rollno: If the Digitech Distortion Factory or the MXR Double Shot Distortion were EHX products they would be the size of a small airplane. :)

I have a MXR Bass Auto-Q and a Maxon AF-9 but now I am in envelope filter heaven with my AdrenaLinn III. :bassist:

8. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Pure lovely ANALOGUENESS...

9. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

Well I made it through the first one of these. Nice job man. I owned the original q-tron+ for years, then sold it and pre-ordered this new one. Its not the same pedal. I don't know what they did, but the original, larger one sounds WAY better. This pedal sort of over-peaks on notes much like cheaper pedals such as the BOSS AW-3. Very distressing to the ears. I can't use it, I'm hopefully selling it and buying an older version again. What a costly mistake. This new one is much smaller with a MUCH more solid construction though.

10. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Awesome demo man! I'm trying to decide among the XO Qtron, Maxon AF-9, and EBS BassIQ, and this demo definitely helps. Thanks for the taking the time to do this! :hyper:

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No problem- the AF-9 was the other one at the top of my list. I'd still like to try one out. I skipped on the EBS as I wanted a really wet and squelchy filter.

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    One word: SWEET.

If I ever pick up an envelope filter... it's definitely gonna be a Q-Tron+!

13. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

Second parts really cool too. I'm warning you guys for the last time, stick with the old q-tron+. What was the name of that double to single power cord you have and where can I get one?

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I ordered it from Voodoo Lab- they have it in their "products" page. No online stores I know of carry the one designed for EH pedals, so I just called in the order.

15. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    www.stompin-ground.com has them as well. It's the only online store I know of that has them, along with a wide range of other cables for power supply bricks.

Name-wise - it's a Y-cable. Just look for the following specs:

- 2.5mm barrel
    - Center-positive (a.k.a., reverse polarity)

On Stompin-Ground, they call it a "Double-Volt" cable for 24V EHX effects.

http://www.stompin-ground.com/products/sgcablepp2.htm

And when you use it, you'll want to plug into two of the ACA outlets and switch them to 12VDC (ACA) mode, to get 24VDC.

Here's the page to order it from Voodoo Lab, BTW:

http://www.voodoolab.com/cables.htm