1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my vintage SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jlasoul, Jan 26, 2012.

1. jlasoul

jlasoul

Jan 26, 2012
    Early 70's head, recently serviced. Sounds awesome BUT it's noisy.
    Noisy in that when you turn it up, the hum that comes through the cab is pretty loud. I don't think it's a grounding problem.
    Does anyone know the likely scenario here? Thanks.

2. What makes you think it's not a grounding problem? Can you take it back to where you had it serviced? That much noise isn't normal, and it shouldn't behave that way just after service.

Also, make sure you've done the "dummy-check" items. Is your instrument cable good? Does your bass create hum in other amps? Are there nearby electrical noise sources (fluorescent lights, etc)?

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If you paid for the service take it back to the tech and discuss the problem with him. The amp could simply have a bad tube or could need a recap.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The steps that the good BassIan suggested are excellent preliminary steps. If the hum is there with nothing in the input jack then the amp needs some TLC. If it is not then That TLC should be applied to your cabling and bass.

Just as a thought, if you are standing too close to your amp, your bass will certainly pick up induced noise from the amps PT. This is quite normal. Interestingly, when I play, i stand right next to my power amp. Since I changed it out to a Class D with a SMPS I no longer get any induced noise. :)

5. funkateer86

funkateer86

Aug 21, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    ^^^^^ Everything above is great advice. I've got a '71 that needs a recap. Those old-school paper caps have had 35-40 years of hard work and they will usually need replaced.