My visit to 48th street in the City

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Groovecenter, Mar 15, 2004.

1. As any New Yorker can tell you, hitting up 48th street in the city is like stepping into a candy store. My first stop was Sam Ash (I go from worst store to best), then Manny's and finally Rudy's.

Sam Ash- Exactly what I expected; tons of basses, all of which have extremely bowed necks and mile high action. The Jaco fretless I played was pretty sweet though; strung up with rounds it was a really punchy voice. I couldn't really stand to play much else there because of the setups, but an Ibanez BTB series bass (mahogany body, bubinga top) was pretty nice to play, probably the ONLY well setup instrument in the store.

Manny's- The staff is much nicer here, some actually know what the hell is going on in the store and have something useful to tell you. I played a Jaco sig. there too as well as a standard Fender Jazz fretless. Both were setup really badly, and if I were considering buying any of them would have asked for a truss rob adjustment. Also played an MTD, not sure of the model. Korean made, single MM pickup, passive controls. It played very very nicely, but the sound was not there for me at all.

Rudy's- If you are semi-serious and can walk into a store and know what your talking about, come to this one. The prices leave much to be desired and you have to ask to play any instrument in the store, but it's well worth it. You won't find any Ken Smith's with huge dents in em, all the basses are really well taken care of, even fingerprints get wiped off before the sales guy puts them back. Anway, played my first fretless Zon, a 5 string legacy with a spalted maple top and an ebony fretboard (according to the guy; it was definitely wood, just not sure what kind). This bass SUNG!!! I know that at some point a Zon fretless is a must for me; if you haven't played one please do so! No strerility here, just amazing tone in every possible meaning of the word. Next was a Pedulla pentabuzz, another outright amazing fretless, easily on par with the Zon. A KSD (Ken Smith Design) Fretless jazz was a nice player and very good for the price (bout 800), but needed a setup.

I think that's enough for now. If you plan on visiting NYC thats the place to go, along with the Guitar and Bass boutique (whose address I can't remember... in the 50's somwhere; they carry F-basses).

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am a New Yorker and it is a fun expirence getting over their, i think the candy store comparison fits it well. I found Rudy's music extremly over priced for the stuff i had seen plus they put all the bass on the top floor. Did you know mannys is owned by sam ash so that would explain the similar stock. Does Sam Ash still have alot of G&L's ?. I am glad you had a nice time in the great city of NY.
  3. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    NY Guitar and Bass Boutique
    746 9th Ave.
    {Between 50 & 51 street}

They might have a few F basses left, but I don't think that they are authorized dealers anymore.( They aren't listed on the dealer page for F bass)
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    There's also the new Guitar Center down by Union Sq. Matt Garrison is giving a free workshop out there on the 30th I believe, whenever it is I'm sure gonna try and make it!
  5. Wow, Matt Garison huh?! Too bad I leave for school again this Saturday, I would've loved to have gone. Has anyone been to that guitar center on Union recently? I went when it first opened (couple of days after) and the bass selection was horrible. Not only was it just a tiny room, but the highest end stuff they had was Warwick. If they got more inventory that would be sweet.
  6. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I went shortly after they opened, they had a Fender Marcus Miller 5, a few Modulus', I talked to the manager or something and he said they'd love to try and get some Smiths and other high end stuff in there. I'll have to check it out when I go for the clinic and see if they came through.
  7. Last time I went by, I noticed 2 or 3 F basses, a Suhr, an Elrick, and a used Sadowsky. I was good. I just got some strings and didn't play anything.
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  9. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Wow -- good to know! I'll definitely check that out.
  10. Groovecenter, you pretty much hit a bull's eye describing all the stores. ;)

Is this the BTB they had in the store?

The last time I was in the 48th St. store was February 2nd, and they only had a BTB405QM at that time.

Did you see the Yamaha TRB5 and 6 both in terrible condition? Missing knobs and dings all over the place. And the nice black Ric with the nice big hole in the pickguard? And there was a Peavey Cirrus 6 pretty banged up too. :spit:

I never saw so many basses being sold as new in such bad shape.

Oh, well.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What Bass/Guitar shops do you guys like the best in NYC
  12. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I like Rudy's the best for trying stuff out (and their repair shop is great), but I usually buy from other places out of state. Most of the time shipping is cheaper than tax.
  13. elmohoof

Sep 24, 2003
    Alliance, OH
    Is that place called "We Buy" still there? It was across the street from Manny's. Actually I think there were two "We Buy" stores. One was next to Manny's and one across the street. I bought a '65 Jazz bass there in 1973. Traded my EB-3 and $100.00 for it It's been a long time since I was there NYC is a great town. I used to go to acting school on Bleecker St in the Village across from the Bitter End Lots of memories
  14. Hey, the picture didn't show up for me, but if that is a 1005 series one, thats not it. It has two J's, one of which is slanted and is 34" scale.

Yeah I've seen the yammies, it's such a shame, I could barely believe how badly those instruments get treated. The Cirrus had a big gouge out the upper back portion as well as tons of large dings (more like gaping holes) in the top. Best part is ofcourse that the pricetag still read 1399 or around there. :ninja:

Kinda makes me comprehend why they moved the Ken Smiths from the back to the store window (where you have to ask to play em)
  15. The Ibanez site must have been down for most of the day, it's working now. This must be the bass you played.

It's nice for someone to concur with what I saw; those Yammies and that Cirrus were in terrible shape. :bawl:

The instruments in the Queens store are in much better shape.

16. Yeah, thats the bass, except it's the 300 (four string version). It was pretty nice, althought I didn't like the neck profile or fret size and the electronics left much to be desired. (It kind of felt like someone had played with the stacked bass/treble knobs so much that they were just garbaged)

Where is there a Sam Ash in Queens? I've only ever been to the guitar center there, and that store is usually pretty nice.

P.S.- All this talk of music stores in the city makes me want to have a NYC get together. With all the talkbass players in NYC and their varying tastes we would probably have some SICK basses to show off and play.
  17. Here's the list of the Sam Ash stores.

You can get to the Queens store from the Manhattan store by subway in about 20 minutes.

A NYC get together? I think we'd have to rent a hall for something like that. The unofficial New York rule is: Don't have a party in your own house. ;)

I'd rather just get a bunch of guys together and meet at a bar.

18. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

NOW you're talkin'. I'm in!
  19. Ha, unless it took us another 2 years to figure out the logistics I wouldn't be able to attend that one Mike (the bar). I'm up for meeting anywhere we could all bring atleast one or two basses and have a couple (hmm, maybe way more then a couple) of rigs to plug them into... any suggestions would be welcome.
  20. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Oops, hadn't thought of that -- how about we take over the bass room in GC on 14th? We'll just pretend we're all trying out amps...