Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Visit to Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 18, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Before work, i took a little visit out to DUMBO (aka "Down Under the Manhattan Bridge"), to Roger's shop. been about a year since i last saw the shop when it was in Times Square, but to say the least, i love the new digs.

ironically, i've never really spent that much time with the Sadowsky sound. but i did actually spend 7 intense days of owning a Sadowsky 4 string. unfortunately, at the time, in the back of my mind, i couldnt justify owning such a SWEET bass, when i had just started to play bass that month. so regrettably, it went back. but now after a good year of understanding bass gear and the like, i finally took the trek to DUMBO.

like in a few other threads, i've been lookin' for the perfect 34" scale 5 string bass to give my wrist a bit of a break. (ok, that sounds weak, but hey, whatever to fuel the GAS, right? ;)) i went looking for a PJ, but instead also found a Sadowsky Toyko in my horizon! but more on that later.

i was hoping to try out a PJ alder 4 string they had on the website, but unfortunately, it was already sold. still, in getting to the sound room, Roger graciously showed me around, and let me loose thru their Aguilar DB680/728/EBS 4x10 setup.

been a long while, and the last time i was at the shop, i mostly played the 4 bangers. so, i was struck by how compact and comfortable all the 5 string bodies were. the pics on the website look MUCHO bigger and bulkier. but in person, they look slim, lithe, and svelt. very cool for a small guy like myself.

first up was the Lake Placid Blue vintage stylie 5 string. sweet bass made in that lovin' sadowsky way. great jbass tones, that seemed oddly similar to my parts bass' Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, BUT, had waaay more chewy mids for an exceptionally rich and punchie sound. very addictive to groove on. also, had good strong highs for that slap tone, and i barely even touched the treble knob. cranked up a little more grunt in the bass, and it was "there". hmm... time for a pickup change? :D

next was the newly built caramel burst 24 fret 5 string. again, this was the first 24 fretter i've ever seen, and i again noticed how compact and comfortable the body shape was. neck had a really revved up fast feel. tonally, good punchie feel that reminded me of my Roscoe's bart soapbars, but these had a bit more shiny high end in them even with the tones set flat. also, the low end knob seemed to add more spacious cushy low end, rather than grunt, which made for a very addictive hifi sound.

next was the "Tokyo" 5 string in all black, and to say the least, i was thoroughly impressed! i wasnt expecting much, but the feel, play, and especially the tone were exceptional for a vintage style 5 string that i've played in recent memory, which include a Mike Lull, Fender Roscoe 5, Fender USA Deluxe 5.

the pickups were single coils, and prolly attributed to the "familarity" of the sound to me. but they were dipped heavily in that gooey, slap happy Marcus sound! good stuff. the fingerboard felt a bit wider like my Elrick, and in fact for my hands, much more comfortable than the regular USA Sadowsky. body was slightly bulkier, but no less balanced and easy to strap on. no neck dive, etc. all in all, the bass was simply wonderful, and a testament to the Sadowsky name.

for all y'all guilty of thinking like moi, that these were crappy versions of the Sadowsky name, be prepared to be very surprised. as of now, i'm seriously considering getting one now, but with a more traditional looking white guard. :p

but back to the PJ, luckily for me, Roger said that there was a Teal Green Metallic PJ also being finished this week! alder body, rosewood fingerboard, etc. so hopefully, by Friday, i'll get to try out this bad boy, and gush even more to y'all. so stay tuned...

2. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Hey,

Did you ask Roger if in fact he does use Warmoth necks and bodies on his basses?

If so ..how much does he pay for them? :D

3. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Joker....I love reading these posts.

very informative.

The epifani post was killer also.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You were there today? Oh man. I called in sick today. :(

5. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    yo Nino, when you work? I'm thinking of dropping by sometime and might bring Cap'n Scarlet with me, been meaning to try out that preamp/di

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh puhleez!

but seriously, i shoulda taken a pic of their "wood" wall, cause they had a stack of raw neck blanks and fingerboard blanks ready for the cutting room. bodies were in boxes so i couldnt tell what they looked like.

roge showed me some really fine pieces of brazilian fingerboards he saves for a rainy day like today. hopefully, one of them will go on my bass! ;)

jive,

thx bro! really great to know somebody's paying attention. :D

Boi & Nino,

i'm gonna drop Red a line and see if we can get together this weekend. maybe this friday, we all could head down to Roge's shop, when i check out the PJ. up for it?

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    BoiNtC, I'm part time & I'm in on Monday's & Wednesday's.

Joker, If I'm feeling better, I'll try to drop by on Friday with the kiddies (children, not basses. LOL :)).

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    As much as I don't think that I'd like living in that area, you guys sure are lucky to have so many incredible bass places to hang out. I'd probably be a pest at Roger's shop. :D

And I'd have incredible GAS, to boot.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah Nino,

i knew you were the board's no. 1., "Go-to-Guy" for anything Sadowsky, but i didnt know you worked there, too!

some guys have all the luck!

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I have to do something this weekend, I forgot what exactly, but if I don't remember maybe I'll come by this weekend, I'm not very good though, I'll mainly stand and watch you play :p

11. Nino is good.

I always feel like an ass when I play in Roger's shop because I freeze up knowing he and the gang hear folks like Marcus, Will Lee, and great unknown players. Then I walk in and play as if I were neanderthal using a boat paddle.:bag:

Yeah, "as if", sure. ;)

12. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I feel the exact same way, but to me, what makes Roger so great is that he treats you just as if you were Marcus or Will.
    That type of treatment always made it much easier to hand him thousands of dollars everytime I went into the shop!

13. Berklee46,

I agree.

When I walked into his shop for the first time in 1990 I got undivided attention and respect.

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I too feel, exactly, this way when I am at Bass Northwest. Nothing but a hack but I am a hack anyway. :oops:

Really cool to hear about great treatment at Roger's. Maybe one day I will just take a trip to NYC to visit Roger, Vinnie, Nick and maybe even up to see Mr. Tobias.

15. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I remembered! Weekend is no good, I'm heading out to Jersey and won't be back til tomorrow late night, then Sat morning, I'm required to play for my church, then I have practice in the afternoon, and Sunday is my church day, plus there's a BBQ afterwards and I gotta play for that too. Maybe another day?

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dont forget Carl, as in, Thompson. ;)

its all good Boi, i'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunities. have fun at your BBQ!

but yea, i feel like a froot when i try out stuff at Roge's place. tho, i'm still convinced its the higher than my normal action on the basses. :p :D

17. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    j,

get the sadowsky tokyo. (toad seeing an opportunity to try it out) ;)

how heavy was it? it's a full sized jazz body, right?

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey bro!

finally, a post we're both reading up on. ;)

but it wasnt that heavy at all. might have been the very balanced feel, but it didnt weigh me down at all. very comfortable and balanced.

and yea, full size. if you're free one of these thursday afternoons we can go in after hours for a try. Frank stays there late, and lets in a few customers.

but i think you woulda REALLY dug the alder/rosewood pbass in olympic white. man that sucker had that warm, low end vintage booty and growl. with flats, i can only imagine how it would rocked.