1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my visit to Upton

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by NicholasF, Aug 5, 2012.

1. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    Yesterday i decided to go up to the upton bass shop, and it was great. We began with taking a look at the different models of basses, then a tour of the work shop. Then i got a chance to play a few basses. Eric is a really nice guy, he knows his stuff and is (no pun intended) "in tune" with the double bass and those of us who play it. Eric thank you so much for your hospitality, and generosity, you will be getting a phone call from me soon :D

P.S. i got a chance to compare a $20k martin to the Upton Brecian Hybrid and in my opinion (and my moms) the Upton sounded way better, and had more color to its tone.

Thanks again Eric
    -Nick

2. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Did you get a chance to play the Seth Kimmel bass? Do you have any thoughts?

3. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    I have played the Kimmel walnut bass they have a few times in the shop. For the price, I was not impressed with the sound. It is/was beautiful. I think they may have sold it.

I like the Upton basses better, honestly.

4. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Eric and I exchanged e-mails before I bought my Czech bass. He was very responsive to my questions and quite informative. The only reason I didn't buy an Upton was because I feel like I'm still a bit too new at double to really figure out what I want in a bass. However, I plan to get one once I feel like my playing has shown significant improvement.

5. Autbra

Autbra Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Nashville Tn
    Mike Lull, Mesa Boogie, D'addario Strings endorser
    I played the Seth Kimmel and thought it was a fantastic bass. I actually played a Hawkes and a Prescott in the shop and thought, for my taste, that the Kimmel was a better bass. If I had had 17,500 I would've walked home with the bass. Still trying to see how fast I can put the money together.

6. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Different Strokes. :)

I thought the Hawkes they have is an amazing bass, especially for arco.

A friend of mine was very much thinking about buying it, but instead went with a new Martin from them.

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I'd have taken that Prescott! :)

8. Got to play the Brecian for a few minutes in Pittsburgh, wish I had more time with it. I don't know though, $5,400 seems a little high for a hybrid. I know, it's subjective.

9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    The Brescian aside, whether any hybrid is worth that much really depends on the bass itself. The New Standard hybrids, for example, are north of $6k and the reports from their owners seem to indicate that they find them to be well worth that. IMO, it comes down to a number of factors, including the quality of the top, the care with which it is graduated, the build quality, etc. So, I wouldn't say that, as a rule, no hybrid is worth $5-6k. Whether the Brescian, or any other particular hybrid, is worth that many clams, well, that's really up to the individual player.

10. MrPeel

MrPeel

Aug 21, 2012
    Hey there... first off I am mad jealous haha... live 11 hours from their shop! Bit of a hike

Did you get a chance to see or play the Bohemian model? A friend has the brescian which sounds sweet (when he plays it)... I've been saving up to make the switch from the EUB and have been considering the Bohemian ply bass. Haven't been able to find much on the particular model though.
    I know local is the best way to go when buying, but in Canada that means stupid large sales tax... also my local dealer is Riedstras which tends to be a bit pricey and orchestra biased (I want a jazz setup)... any help from your experience would be amazing!

11. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Give us a location if you want help. I'm guessing you're in the GTA area.

If so, check out Heinl's, and the Soundpost.

12. MrPeel

MrPeel

Aug 21, 2012
    Oh thank you!
    I'm in Kitchener so I wouldn't be opposed to a trip out to the GTA. Kitchener has Riedstra's but that's it... they have more violins than you can shake a stick at. After that you have a variety of cellos, but very few basses... let alone basses under 5 grand. I know they set their stuff up well, but it is a place that is geared towards classical players so they'd probably set up their stuff for arco more than anything.

I've heard of the soundpost, but not Heinl's... do you know if these places stock more than what they list online? I'm willing to spend about 2500-3000... I want something I can grow into. I already have come to terms with sounding pretty shoddy considering I'm coming from the lazy man's super low action on the NXT EUB's... so a lot to learn, but I'm determined to make the switch to a real upright

13. MrPeel

MrPeel

Aug 21, 2012
    Also not trying to create thread cancer and steer away from the Upton topic at hand! So roll right past my last post or PM me!
    Sorry guys... I be new

14. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    I played an all ply one i believe, i also saw one being made, very nice instruments, wasnt what i wanted specifically but was pretty cool