1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Voice (Models) In Jazz...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by witness66, Jul 4, 2016.

1. witness66

witness66

May 25, 2016
    Miami, Florida
    As we begin to learn bass guitar (or any musical instrument for that matter) we strive to find our own voice in our maturation as a musician.

These are my models in the Rock genre:

• Jones
    • Bruce
    • McCartney

In these guys I now have my own expression - my sound.

As I start to venture into Jazz, I do not have any models to study in my developing of my personal jazz voice.

I need to have a few players in that genre to learn from. Remember, I do NOT want to sound like these musicians. I need to find, in time; through these players, my own sound...voice.

Can you post some advice, direction or maybe a short list of your own jazz models (a few) that I might consider?

Specifically, Fusion Jazz.

Thanks guys!!

SirMjac28 likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You're striving to find your own voice and you've found it through other bass players that you don't want to sound like.

Doesn't quite make sense.

ThePresident777 likes this.
  3. witness66

witness66

May 25, 2016
    Miami, Florida
    Yeah. Let me phrase it this way: our main influences inspire (aid) us by giving us examples in their unique sound that, by our study of him/er, will grant for us an avenue leading to our own unique voice - that only through influences do we create our voice. I hope that clarifies my point.

icebox likes this.
  4. Can't do fusion without Jaco.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Melodic/Modern jazz or more classic walking bass line jazz?

For the former I would think....
    1) Jimmy Haslip - Yellowjackets and others
    2) Marcus Miller - um.....yeah
    3) Chris Wood - Medeski Martin and Wood

But I like a tiny bit of soul/funk sprinkled into my jazz.

What kind of stuff are you into?

pnchad and Ewo like this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Seems like you're overthinking it a bit, but that's just me. You can listen to great bass players. You can practice playing bass. Let what happens after that come naturally. Just my opinion.

7. witness66

witness66

May 25, 2016
    Miami, Florida
    Well I am brand new to jazz so I want to familiarize myself with the current top players...to learn as much as I am able to them and their lines - just to get a feel for those jazz models/players.

I have always been a hard rocker. Jazz is another world for me.

8. witness66

witness66

May 25, 2016
    Miami, Florida
    Jaco is first on my list. His best album??

9. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    HAdrian Feraud
    Matt Garrison
    Janek Gwizdala

Not sure if I spelt any of those correct

10. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    How can anyone else determine that but you?

11. witness66

witness66

May 25, 2016
    Miami, Florida
    Absolutely...but, I need to First know who's who so as to then (afterwards) make my own selection - the second step in the process...how I do it.

12. witness66

witness66

May 25, 2016
    Miami, Florida
    The only name I am familiar with, as posted above, are Jaco and Wood. The rest are strangers. I'm glad I created this thread. Now I have my initial step set. Keep 'em coming...

13. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Mississippi
    Start listening to jazz on You Tube, Pandora or another music service. Jazz is a different animal, its an aquired taste and inspiration comes from many places. Don't limit yourself to being inspired by only "jazz bassist" listen to all the jazz musicians.

14. JonKim

JonKim Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2011
    No matter how hard I try to sound like other bass players, no matter what bass or rig I play on I sound like me.

I think you're looking into this too hard. Just go out and play and enjoy yourself. Lay the groove down and stay in the pocket and you'll be ok

15. I like these Jaco tunes.

For funk jazz stuff, check out all of Paul Jackson's work with Herbie Hancock.

If you are coming from guitar oriented rock background Ron Carter's work backing guitarist Jim Hall are good place to ease into double bass sound. I find his baselines really intimidating actually (but great of course)

JimK likes this.
  16. witness66

witness66

May 25, 2016
    Miami, Florida
    okay...

17. This is a monumental task, owing to the fact that jazz covers an immense territory from Louie Armstrong back in the 1920's, through the Big Band era, Coltrane, Miles, Archie Shepp, Jobim, The Head Hunters, The Crusaders, all the way up to smooth jazz. Some of the earliest recordings of the electric bass were by Monk Montgomery (Wes' older brother). Most jazz bassists have a firm grip on theory and many play both double bass and electric (fretted and fretless). Figure out what styles of jazz you are interested in and try to narrow your search from there. Some interesting players you may want to check out are Gary King (he played on a lot of CTI releases in the '70's using a Guild Starfire), Paul Jackson from the HeadHunters, Michael Manring, Brand X's Percy Jones, Tower of Power's Rocco Prestia (TOP is more of a soul band, but if you can't get into that bass, check to see if you still have a pulse.) Hope this helps, but there is so much to dig through it'll take you a lifetime. Oh, yeah, Tony William's bassist...

18. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    no one said patitucci yet?

19. witness66

witness66

May 25, 2016
    Miami, Florida
    jamro217: Jazz Fusion.

20. MMiller28

MMiller28