1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My volume is too low!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DTRemcoG, Feb 17, 2008.

1. DTRemcoG

DTRemcoG

Dec 16, 2007
    Dear Talkbass People,

Recently I bought my first bass.
    Immediately I noticed that the volume was low.. So I put the volume on full blast.. The volume was better, and with a little help of my amp the volume was good.
    But.. You can clearly hear noise in the background. And a bassguitar should sound very pristine if you ask me.

I've been told that I could better ask the question here.
    Here is the old topic

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    What kind of bass is it ? are the pickups up high enough? Do you have a picture of the bass that would help so we can tell if the pickups are low or not.

3. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    In addition to those questions, if the bass has active electronics, does it have a fresh 9v battery? There are many factors that could affect volume/output so we'll need more information to make a good diagnosis.

4. Increase the height of the pickups.

If its using single coils (even if its humbuckers, just more so with single coils) you'll get noise. It is possible that its just cheap pickups, and you could get better results with some better quality ones.

Try shielding your bass, great tutorial here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159191

5. DTRemcoG

DTRemcoG

Dec 16, 2007
    Thanks for helping me out everyone!

I took some pictures, now you all can take a better look at the problem. The possibility that the pickups are cheap is big. The bass itself wasn't that expensive and it's a sixstring.
    This is my bass Carmiggelt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    get some new pickups... bartolini, emg, seymour duncan... all delicious

7. You started out on a 6-er? Props to you, I've yet to try one :(
    Other than, all I can say is nice bass :)
    New p-ups would probably work, but I wouldn't bother upgrading my starter.

8. dasparks2004

dasparks2004 I LOVE TUBES

Dec 4, 2007
    Seattle
    Is that an Ibanez?

If I'm not mistaken it looks it might be active.

If it is just change the 9V battery. That should hopefully do the trick.

If that's not the problem I'm at a loss.

9. It does look like an Ibby, especially with the bridge.

Possibly passive and vol/tone/vol/tone?

But im with you, if its active, try changing over the battery(s)

10. DTRemcoG

DTRemcoG

Dec 16, 2007
    Thanks! It is a rather good looking bass indeed..
    But I could wish it was a Ibanez :p .. It's a H&S Sequoia II .. a cheap 'custom' 6-string out of Germany.. But it feels fantastic to play on it.. But maybe are new pickups a good idea.

I know it was for the best to start with 4 strings. But I'd already got experience with playing guitar/bass (4-string) .. And 6-string looked like a nice challange to me. And admit.. 6-strings just look badass as hell :p

I'm not yet really tapped into the network of the technical aspects of the bassguitar. But I don't have a clue what the price will be for a set of good pickups, and how to install it (or is it better letting it do a professional)

Thanks for all your help! Things are getting clearer to me!

EDIT: It's a passive bass.. No batteries involved in this one! :)

11. Can you get it to a tech for a quick once over? I'd hate to say you should spend money on new pickups if the problem wound up being a bad cord or dirt on the input jack or something else cheap and easy. Is the noise all the time or just when you turn a knob? Is it possible that your amp has inputs or settings for both active and passive basses and you're in the wrong one? New pickups might give you a different or better sound, but even cheap basses should be able to put out decent volume and clean sound.

12. Get someone who knows musical instruments to have a look at it.

Ive seen a number of H&S basses, and at the price they are, it wouldnt surprise me if they really really skimped on the electronics.

13. DTRemcoG

DTRemcoG

Dec 16, 2007
    Okay.. Tomorrow I'll be taking it to my local guitar store.
    Thanks everyone!

14. orgmorg

orgmorg

Jan 25, 2008
    Dismal, Tennessee
    Pickups look to be about the right height.

Maybe you could get some of those knobs that go to 11. :D