My Warmoth Project, DONE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CzarMike, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    yummy me tummy..
    I like yer bass man..
    congrats on it.. its really beautiful man
    thats like my main goal... to build a bass someday
    right now though i dont have the funds
    and im getting a fender jazz pretty soon though for my birthday from my rents..
    im prolly getting a sunburst fretless and im gonna put a black pickguard on it =D
    congrats man.. how does it play.. any audio we can hear?
  2. WOW!!! that's beautiful! Color me jealous..... wanna share the total cost?
  3. Not to toot my own horn (you guys just did for me :) ), but it plays and sounds almost exactly as I had planned. I have been considering adding a p-style pickup where the neck pickup is now, just to add some punch to our more rockin songs. I also have sitting in front of me a Rio Grande Powerbucker Bridge pickup that could someday end up on my beast. I'm the kind of guy that ends up breaking things that worked fine in efforts to make them better. Luckily I actually am sort of handy with basses.
    I only have one mp3 on this computer of the bass in action, you can hear it here:
    It's a rock song with a pretty basic bassline, but it gives you an idea of what it sounds like in our music.
    Rock On,

BTW my band is called Soulshadow, we play a lot around central illinois and have a website up at:
    Those other mp3's on the site are with my old squier franken-p-bass.
  4. Very nice bass -

Whats the deal with the wall decorations my friend? Are you longing for the days back in 'Mother Russia' or something?
  5. Looks great! I love that Natural Jazz Bass look.:) Out of curiosity, how do you go about attaching the neck to the body? I understand it's a 4-bolt connection, and you use a neck plate, etc., but does it involve anything else? I like to think I'll build a bass one of these days.
  6. Very nice! I'm thinking some day I will build one just like yours (I think Nino Brown also has one just like this too) - I've always liked that color combo. Unfortunately, I'm not a very handy person, so I don't know how I would do with the finishing and wiring. I would hate to mess it up. Did you find the finishing part to be difficult?

Also, I didn't know you could use Badass II Bridges with string-through bodies. I was wondering if you could post a picture of the bridge so I could see how this is strung? Or maybe you can just describe it. Thanks!

Again, nice bass. Another one to add to the GAS list.
  7. You can have Warmoth finish for you. I'd have to agree on the wiring. I'd be all confused. Would it be easier to get a J-retro and the pickups of choice?
  8. yes

Yeah the J-retro would save you a lot of time and confusion, not to mention how much better of a sound you would get. That would be a good idea for someone who is not so good with wiring.

It's very simple to attach actually. I didn't use any glue, some people do for obvious reasons, but I'm the kind of guy who is always messing around with the truss rod and on Warmoth's you have to take off the neck to do this.

This was my first attempt at finshing anything, ever. I just always practiced on a piece of scrap wood, and asked a local woodworkers shop for all of their advice. They were really cool, and took great interest in the project.

I drilled holes through the badass with a drill press, but I read the other day that string-through actually doesn't make any difference except breaking your strings more often. I guess it's a marketing gimick or something. I guess I'm that sucker. I'll attach a picture of someone else's string-through badass.

Here's everything I bought to make it:
    VRBR1C Retainer: $1.80
    NP1C Neck Plate: $3.50
    NP1P Neck Pad: $1.75
    JCP1C: J Bass Control Plate: $12.00
    SSL1C Straplock: $10
    Schaller Tuners: $50 set
    JBK1L Knobs: 2 @ 1.50
    JBK1S Knobs: 1.50
    CTS250 Pot: 3 @ $3
    CAP1 Capacitor: $0.50
    NS1C Neck Screw: 4 @ 0.30
    PGS1C Pickguard Screw: 20 @ 0.12
    NTS1C Bridge Screws: 6 @ 0.15
    BMS1B: Bass Pickup Screw: 8 @ 0.25
    Black/White/Black Jazz Bass Pickguard: $16
    NBFG Fender Curved Bone Nut: $3.50
    $119 total for parts
    $15 shipping
    BN399 Neck: $239
    B255 Body: $209

Total from Warmoth: $582

Reranch Parts:
    Sand & seal
    Grain Filler
    Sandpaper set

Stain, finish, more sandpaper, and misc from home depot: $50-60

So this probably ran around $700 (minus bridge and pickups, which would be another $150-200)
  9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    >3 >3!!!

very good man

thanks for sharing the ingredients!
  10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Cool bass man, but no offense the whole American flag thing isnt something that should be on the board. You can show your Russian pride, but not with the American flag thing ok.

My advice is take another picture and put it up.

11. Actually I'm not Russian at all.The backdrop on my wall is stricktly a sign of my political standings, nothing against my friends and relatives you understand. If you guys promise to just talk about basses, so will I. I usually get bullied out of politics.
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

I personally feel that if its political or non music it should go to off topic not in one of the music areas.

Also we need to be open to others views, but I think in a forum such as this it should be thru disscusion not protests, which is what your background for your bass is.

I respect everyones views as long as they are not meaning to insight anger or emotional hurt. This does.

But if you were to start a discussion on your views politically in off-topic it would not offend me.
  13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the bass looks awesome- it makes me want to get one like that-
    the wall decoration??.. are you a Communist? do you want to live in Communism? ..I have. First thing that would happen is you lose your bass... go to Cuba and live WITH the PEOPLE , NOT at the resorts, and you'll find out what i mean, quick!!
    Im not so much offended , but amused..
    Sincerely, Adrtian - born in Cuba and proud of it.. US Citizen and proud of THAT.
  14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Right on Adrian. One of my best friends is from Cuba, he didnt experience living there for very long. But his father did and he was always grateful for his life here.
    Ironicaly he was a musician trumpet, and piano.
  15. LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    Congrats Czar, thats a fine jazz. You should be proud. I'm a sucker for natural jazz basses also. I've been thinking of putting one together. Maybe
    I'll find the time next year. Enjoy your new BABY!:)
  16. lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Copied from CzarMike's website... "Mike’s intricate songwriting and experience in music business".... hmm... tough to be a commie and combine it with such a keen capitalistic business sense.
  17. Ok, everyone attack the red! :) Since when was Cuba real communism? I just believe that everyone is exactly equal. Say what you will, we actually are all equal. Something that Democracy will not stand for.
    I do like the quote about music business, theoretically I should hate it. I guess none of us are perfect though :)