Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my Warmoth project!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by citizen, Oct 7, 2003.

1. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    Here is the description of the bass i will command this week at warmoth:

it s a gecko 6 strings, with quilt mapple laminate top on koa body.(i really like quilt mapple).Dark red dye with black back finish.
    The neck will be a Wenge/bubingua one, with ebony fingerboard, and no finish.

I think it s a good project, what is your opinion?

I will use this thread to show you the differents stages of this project.

2. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Here's a thought -

Since you're painting the back black and won't get to see that nice piece of koa, why not substitute mahogany or korina (similar sound, less cost), and use the savings to upgrade the quilt top? A 5A top upgrade on a Gecko is $75.

Here's one that another of our European customers did:
    [​IMG]

This one has a 5A tubular quilt top with our "black cherry" dye, which is dyed black first, then sanded mostly back and dyed red. This extra dye step makes it $35 more than the standard red dye. Black korina also has a very cool dark "marbled" look when sprayed transparent red - perhaps that could be the back?

3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    ^That is a nice looking Gecko!

:^)~

4. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

i love this finsh!!!
    I was asking to the showcase if koa and mahogany were really different.
    So i will take Mahogany with this beautifull dark cherry!!!!

Thanx so much, i m going to order this friday!

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Man, what a beautiful top and finish!!!

6. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    Hey ProgZilla, je mettrai quelques photos sur forumbass.free.fr, en esperant que ce soit aussi beau!

I am just asking what preamp i m gonna put:
    between aguilar obp1 and obp3.
    3 days for this last choice!!!

7. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    ça va et' top tout ça

it's going to be awsome !!!what a pride to get his own designed bass. are you going to build it by yourself ? i've had a similar experience on my jb and to adjust the neck, that's a real hard work.. :D

8. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    If your pickups aren't too bright-sounding, the OBP-1 is a good choice, as it's simpler and eaiser to use, but doesn't have a treble cut control. If you need more flexibility and tone-shaping, the OBP-3 is great, but you've got an extra knob or a concentric set.

I've got the OBP-1 in my black korina gecko, and it sounds great with my deep-voiced Bartolini soapbar. It's warm enough that I never find myself needing to cut the treble, but the OBP-1 can add a ton of bite or low-end rumble.

[​IMG]

9. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I have a bass with an OBP-3 in it and it sounds fantastic!! Always go for as many tonal options as possible!!

10. [​IMG]
    That is some goo-lookin wood!!!!:eek: I love the body style as well, the curves are perfect.

[​IMG]
    :eek: That is a terribly cool Gecko!! :cool:

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They should make Gecko four strings, but maybe I'll take a fiver once I'm in the market again. They're beautiful basses, especially that black cherry finish. I may have to get one of those soon!

12. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Merci! Faites-moi savoir quand ils sont là.

13. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    ok i am gonna take the obp 3 to have a cut for controls.

Bwbass, your gecko is great , black corina is beautifull.Please, can you say me what finish you put?(satin?)

I am looking for transport prices to bring it in france (with TVA)and it s not really amazing:meh:

14. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Our satin finish would look similar to that, but my bass has a tung oil finish with wipe-on satin polyurethane applied over it.

For exact shipping costs, just send an email to customerservice@warmoth.com with your postal code. As for TVA, I have no idea, but your local customs agency should have some insight into this. Here's a link that may help:

http://www.trade.gov/td/tic/tariff/eu_vat.htm

Use Schedule B number / Harmonized code: 9209.94.0000

15. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    thank you for your help.I think i will wait for my guitarist who has ever command a guitar at warmoth for heping me.

See you soon with great pics!!!:bassist:

16. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    ooh those look bad ass.

dont stop posting gecko pic's. :D

What kind of options do you get for that gecko inlay btw? I went threw the site a few days ago and didnt happen to see any.. :confused:

17. Geesh...that body you posted is absolutely crazy...good luck with the project!:bassist:

18. Here is my Gecko. If you don't have then you should, they rule!!!

19. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    There are no options for what kind of wood the Gecko inlay will be made of (it's always supposed to be a constrasting wood of similar density to the finerboard), but you can have us omit it for a $30 custom charge.