Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Warwick Corvette is gettin' electronic steroids!!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by panic_striken, Oct 31, 2005.

1. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I am making a tonal monster outta my stock passive Corvette this weekend. I will be taking out the stock MEC pickups and replacing them with handwound Seymour Duncan Antiquity I's. Then, as if that won't make a huge tonal difference, I just odered a Aquilar OBP-3 onboard preamp. It has 18db of boost/cut at 40hz, 16db at 6.5hz, and selectable mid by toggle at 800hz/400hz with 16db of cut/boost. There will be not limit to the tones that I will be able to get outta my once stock Warwick!!!!!!! :bassist: :D

2. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Hell's yeah, Warwick 4life!

3. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Since I haven't actually heard the pickups or preamp, I've only read every review of each on the net :D , can someone comment on either or both????

4. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    ANYONE?????

5. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    BUMP

6. Wrong forum for electronics-related/specific matters, I suppose.

Passive MIG Warwicks (not the RockBass models) make for excellent upgrade platforms in the same way stock passive J-basses still do, but if I were to buy a passive Warwick, it would be to keep it passive. I would therefore only upgrade the pickups, most likely to a BassLines Hot Stack pair in the case of a Corvette, as these pickups would give active-like volume. My thinking is that such a setup would be ideal for a "cruise ship special" bass (good luck fixing active electonics at sea), since the volume/blend/tone controls found on today's stock passive Corvettes would be maximized.

As always, YMMV, and caveat emptor.

7. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Well this is my "bread & butter" bass. So, I was hoping the Antiquity I's would give me that great vintage sound, and the Aguilar would just let me tweak the sound. The Aguilar doesn't put out any gain itself. It simply enhances certain frequencies. So, I don't think that it will defeat the whole purpose of the vintage pickups by giving them a modern "active" tone. That's why I chose the Aguilar. Oh, I am in the works of getting a stock Jazz for a back up ;)