Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My warwick died

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jmann, May 8, 2003.

1. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    the Active tone circuit in my warwick has passed away. I was playing & the strings made contact with the extra long chain hanging from my fan. ZAP! 2 bad things in one. I got the **** shocked & my preamp was kentucky fried. I put in a new battery to make sure & when i took the back cover off smoke came out. I am thinking about putting EMG's in it.
    :bawl:

2. that sucks big time! good luck getting it fixed. who knows, maybe you'll like the new sound better! :D

3. The good news... you're still here to tell us about it! The bad news isn't so bad... try the EMGs and if you don't like 'em, you can always order a new BEC preamp from DBG and get back to what you had to start with.

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I feel for you man, because I love my Warwick. But at least it's the elctronics which are much easier to replace that bodies or necks. If the active elctronics contribute to the problem, you may want to go passive. The pickups on the thing are passive, the preamp is what is active. With some rewiring, you should be able to get the bass up and running with out the active preamp.

5. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    My bass has the push/pull active/passive, but it sounds BAD. I want to put EMGs in it.

6. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Thats terrible. But at least you only have to change the preamp, so it is not that drastic of a thing.

7. Glad you're still here to tell the tale!!:D

8. Sounds like a good excuise to (me) a Fender!

Just kidding ;)

Hope you get your gear fixed asap!! :meh: :)

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Aha! I have EMGs in my Warwick and I'm planning on replacing the MEC2 preamp with an OBP-3; how does the OBP-3 affect the tone with the controls set flat? Which frequency do you prefer to use the mid EQ at, 400 or 800Hz, particularly to give you a scoop for slapping? And are you running everything on 18v?

Cheers,

Alex

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    How very reassuring - I'm planning on doing much the same, just vol, treble, mid and bass knobs with a push-pull switch on the volume knob (800Hz when down, 400Hz when up). I really like my fingerstyle sound with the EQ flat, so the big benefit of the OBP-3 will be scooping mids for a prettier slap sound.

Also, I'm looking forward to having a treble control that's voiced high enough to add some sparkle rather than snarl (my Warwick already has plenty of snarl) and a bass control that adds real depth, plus of course being able to run all the electronics on 18v which should really open up the EMG's sound.

Alex