My Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PowerMad, Aug 9, 2001.

1. PowerMad

Aug 6, 2001
    I read a post on talkbass that said that all of the new Warwicks are made with ovangkol necks...but my bass seems to be an exception to this rule. I have a Streamer Stage II that was made in 2000 and it clearly has a wenge neck and fretboard. Did I luck out and hit the Warwick jackpot?

I am also new here so I'd like to introduce myself...I am Art...Hello:cool:
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    nope. SSII's are still all wenge. they're the "high end"

SSI, SSII, and dolphins still have wenge.

you pay for what you get my friend :D

3. PowerMad

Aug 6, 2001
    Damn...I thought I found a rare instrument...cest la vie...thanks for the help
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rare or not, it's still a great bass.

And I'm sure that SSII's are pretty rare, they are one of the 3 most expensive production Warwicks.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

it IS rare! i've never seen one in person, or on ebay.

you've got a keeper there!

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Always happy to welcome a fellow warwickian. Congrats on a sweet bass too.
  7. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I want to grind my Dolphin's neck 'cos it is too thick , what do you think?
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    borrow a Musicman for a week
  9. PowerMad

Aug 6, 2001
    J.S. Basuki, I wouldn't advise you to mess with such a fine bass unless you are a professional luthier. I've never heard of anyone narrowing their neck, but it seems to me that it might work if you get a pro to work on it. good luck.
  10. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The people at Dana B. Goods replaced my twisted ovangkol neck with a wenge one. They said it was firmer. Anyway, I think I hit the jackpot.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Welcome PowerMad.

If Warwick keep up their trend of making more and more basses, I have a feeling that your wenge neck soon will be exceptional. I lucked out and bought a Corvette the last year they used only wenge on those necks. I like the feel so much more than the newer necks. I think it really affects the sound too.

I love my Warwick but I'm getting concerned with the company and what their goals and motivation are these days. What's the deal with the Jack Bruce signature thumb bass - only 100 made - I don't know. I'm gettin a little spooked.
  12. PowerMad

Aug 6, 2001
    Jack Bruce...still alive? well no one deserves a sig bass as much as him, but I don't know about the inlaid signature in the body.On the other hand Warwick might be onto something...They should have an option where you could have your own name inlaid on your bass. Maybe I should run that by old Dana B. Goods