Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My whiny used solid-state amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Mar 21, 2004.

1. I just bought a used Yorkville 400B head. When I tried it out, it was fine during the short period I tried it out. I was running it today for a few hours and noticed a high-pitched whine coming from it. I turned it off and after it cooled down, I tried it again and it stopped whining. Totally silent operation. I have the lower wattage version Yorkville 200B and it does not do this.

Any clues as to which component may be faulty?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    fan?

3. Hey, I PM'ed you about that Yorkville.

4. Reply to kennyhoe sent.

I don't think it has a fan. Other reviews on Harmony Central say it just has a bunch of heat sinks in the back.

I do not recall the very audible whine after rehearsal yesterday. I really put it through it's paces for a good 3 hours.

I know that the whine is independent of the settings on the amp. It doesn't change with changes to the controls.

I'm letting it run for a while right now, without instruments, to see if it starts up again.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am surprised a 400W amp dosen't have a fan (EA and other class D amps excluded of course :) ). If it happens again, have a fan ready and start it up pointed at the heatsinks. If the whine goes away after a bit, then the amp is overheating.

6. The amp is cool to the touch, you would never guess it was on. The whine came on after about 2 hours. I turned it off about a minute, turned it on and the whine was gone. Bizarre.