My whole rig sucks! And so do I!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tspallone, Nov 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. tspallone

tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    Have you ever sat down to practice and was really looking forward to some nice sounds, only to be dissappointed in how your favorite bass sounds?

It was sounding GREAT to me a couple of weeks ago and, admittately, I'd been playing another (much different sounding and playing bass ) for a couple of weeks. And then, I go back to old faithful, switch leads from passive to active on the amp, set what used to work on the multieffex pedal, set up the on board controls the way I usually do and.......... crap!

And then, after futsing with everything, STILL can't get it to sound "right". ***?

I muscle through and try to practice anyway and that nagging feeling of, "This sounds like crap!" hangs on my head and I start playing like crap.

Now, everything is crap. The bass is crap, the amp is crap, the leads are crap, the multipedal is crap, the strings are crap and...............I'M crap!!!!!

...Ok, I'll go back and give it another try tonight. Going to insert a Sansamp into the chain and see if THAT will turn my ears around.

sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And I WAS feeling a little quilty about changing out the EMGs for Aguilars. Now I'm thinking of changing EVERYTHING.

Please tell me that your old reliable baby just doesn't deliver to your liking now and then.

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    My suggestion is you just get over it. The bass isn't crap, the amp isn't crap, the leads aren't crap, and most importantly YOU are not crap.

You're just a bit self-critical. I plug my bass directly into the amp with no effects at all, using a $20.00 cable, and then I play. What I'm playing isn't always right, and then I practice more. But I'm OK with the sound, because I know whatever it sounds like, it's going to sound different in the mix anyway.

Relax, and have fun. You are NOT crap.

3. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I think you've highlighted a good reason for, every now-and-then, starting over fresh with flat EQ, bare-bones signal chain, etc. & rebuilding it all from there.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Adding more things to the chain is adding more variables. You should be trying to remove them.

Put in a fresh battery if it's an active bass, make sure your strings aren't dead, check that you don't need a truss rod adjustment, then plug directly in.

5. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I agree, but to answer your question no this never happens to me. What happens to me is, I buy a different bass and like it for a short time, then I pick up one of my 2 G&L 2500 and BOOM the new bass is instantly bad. Why did I spend the money?
    Good luck
    Rock on

Berk Evren and oaklandthumb like this.
  6. I always blame the equipment. ;)

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Some days you just don't have your fastball.

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    you are probably only one or two beers short of sounding fantastic, imo. ;)

9. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

There are days nothing works. The rig sounds awful, I can't play two notes without screwing up three of 'em, and the bass looks weird. It's just having an off day or off night.

MCB 5150, mikeyjm2, Kupo and 9 others like this.
  10. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Really, start out by plugging the bass right into the amp. If you can't make that sound good no FX is gonna fix it.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Exactly all of this. In stead of putting MORE "crap" in your signal chain, take everything out of it and build from there. Just because you used to set things a certain way, that doesn't mean you have to keep doing it that way.

Joedog likes this.
  12. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    This is rarely the right approach. (Sometimes, but rarely.)
    Plug directly into the Passive side with flat EQ on the amp and the bass; adjust from there.

VWbug and Lobster11 like this.
  13. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Well, in addition to what everyone has already said, it sounds like whatever bass you were using for that two weeks reset your ears and the Schecter isn't cutting it for you anymore. What bass was that? Sometimes you fall out of love with gear you have had forever and it's time to move on. They aren't wives you know.

lessofapaul likes this.
  14. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    That sort of thing happens. My #1 is a P Select. I had been playing my MIA J for a while and it wasn't sounding right, mostly just thin. So I put it away and got out the P and it sounded like it should. A couple of days ago, I decided to get the J out again and it sounds just fine.

Shortie and VWbug like this.
  15. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Although to be honest, and I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but I would keep the bass and get rid of the Behringer amp your profile says is your amp. I bet putting a nice Eden WT 550 in the signal chain would do wonders for your tone. Then you probably won't need the FX or the sansamp which are just compensating for a sub-par amp.

16. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    As others have suggested, put LESS in line and see what you NEED to make your ears happy from there.
    Incidentally - you mention you changed pickups - was that recently? With rested ears you may have suddenly "heard" what the new pickups sound like and either a. they're not the right pus for you, or b. you need to adjust everything else to accommodate the new pus.

Just plug the bass into the amp with flat settings (or more accurately all eqs set at 12 o'clock).
    Then play for a few songs.
    Once you have that sound in your head, what is missing EQ-wise - make 1-2 notch adjustments on one knob and play at least a full verse and chorus, then adjust again one knob - one to two notches and repeat till you have it as good as it gets.

Then - add your Sansamp if and ONLY if you need more distortion or your actual amp is so bad it needs the help after performing step 1.

THEN add your effects, again one at a time and see how each sounds and how each needs to be adjusted - for a patch you should treat each effect in the patch individually and then together.

THEN and ONLY THEN - add or change things.

17. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I've had many MANY times where an rig that sounded fantastic 24hrs prior....but now....sounds like crap. I don't believe in ANY of those scenarios that it actually sounded bad. I think it's just perception.

One thing you might want to try is taking a picture of your amp settings. I've had an interesting time getting exactly the tone I want from my Dimension bass. When I found it, I took a picture of the amp settings so I know where I had everything. I've done this a few times.

Example:
    The yellow lines on the mids is the frequency that Markbass uses for the low-mid (360hz) and high-mid (800hz) frequencies on the LMII.

2tpeZDlW8O9tb0s4CUP67bAux3dWU2k5_Wc7owpI-VIUJOVrcnm36YFRBk1DsweKhWMuULSDZlLwWqI92k=w1291-h968-no.jpg

18. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    You lost me there...

19. tspallone

tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    I actually thought about the battery because, for second, there was a distortion but no apparent reason for it. Might just be the battery.
    Thanks

20. tspallone

tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    Lol. I like your way of thinking.

Kupo and pacojas like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021