Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My whole summer is ruined. :(

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Ever since I got "promoted" to the ninth grade, I've had a closing feeling in my throat. It's not as bad now, but it does hurt to swallow. I've had some coughing fits, but they're not that bad. Just to get up phlegm. My mom said I might have mono. And judging by the fact that I'm not getting any better, I think I do. Now my whole freaking vacation is ruined. Does anyone know how long the symptoms last?

2. Go to the doctor.

What the hell have you been waiting for?

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    so you still haven't seen the Doctor? :eyebrow:

4. doctors are for sissies. ask the Ouija board whether you have mono.

5. My Mom kept saying how I have an appointment on monday (which is tomorrow.) But when I told her saturday, she just said to wait to go to the doctor.

6. ba$$88

ba$$88 Guest

Jun 13, 2004
    thats happened to me a couple times, and i had the exact same symptoms. I just toughed it out with no doctor for a few weeks. I figured it was strep throat. I didnt have mono. Good luck

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Dude, ignore your mom, you're old enough to go to the doctors by yourself. Just get it sorted out. Just go!

8. Unfortunatly a mono can last beteween like 2 weeks or 6 months depending on the case just get some rest. I had a mono that lasted several months and it sucks. :(

9. I had mono once. But it only lasted about 10 days.

So, hopefully you'll get better soon.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Or you could be the very first victim of a brand new plague! Exciting! Either way, good luck!

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    didn't that kill Jim Henson?

12. ba$$88

ba$$88 Guest

Jun 13, 2004
    i dont know. i had it twice without the aid of a doctor and i'm still here. :meh: I would definitely recommend seeing a doctor though

13. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Streptococcus can absolutely, positively kill you if left unchecked.

Even if you do think it's just strep throat (the efffects of which can range from mild to life threatening), you should go to the doctor. It's easily treated with antibiotics, but it does have to be treated.

http://www.astdhpphe.org/infect/strepa.html

14. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    ANY infection if left untreated for long enough can kill you regardless of age/previous health. I know of a 23 year-old that went in unresponsive at a local hospital. Turns out that he had strep throat for two weeks and figured he would wait it out... The infection started to spread, it hit his brain and that was it. Dead. He was young and very healthy previous to that. GET TO A DOCTOR! :mad:

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Strep = doctor.

I've had strep throat numerous times, including a period when I was about 10 where I started building an immunity to the antibiotics, so I had it in varying degrees for about 5 months. Then I got a shot in the ass and it went away for all but one time since.

Getting to a doctor is important, especially since strep is not something you wait out. And it's spreads pretty good. Family/Friends and whatnot.

See a doc, bud.

16. ba$$88

ba$$88 Guest

Jun 13, 2004
    Even if you do think it's just strep throat (the efffects of which can range from mild to life threatening), you should go to the doctor. It's easily treated with antibiotics, but it does have to be treated- Eyescream

good advice. i wish i wouldve known that. thank goodness my case wasn't too bad. :meh: se the doc

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Bummer.

18. [BUTTHEAD]Huhhhuhhuhhhuh you said...[/BUTTHEAD]

:D

19. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Speaking of Butthead... On MTV2 they're playing old episodes of Beevis & Butthead and one of the videos was a Rush song. It was this guy strapped to a chair on a pole and than he fell off....and they were playing in the middle of a field with long coats on..I dont know. But it was funny to hear Beevis attempt to sing, "the Spirit Of Radio". Another thing is, I never even knew that Rush made a music video. :confused:

20. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    :D