1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Wife Asked Me To Post This (Mesa content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sterling4, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Sterling4

Sterling4

Dec 15, 2008
    USA
    Hello All,

Help me with this, guys. My wife bought me a Mesa Carbine Combo for X-Mas 08, actually special ordered Dec 14, 2008, as the local dealer had none in stock. It has yet to be delivered. I’ve been through the usual ritual of calling Mesa (they blew me off), and listening to my dealers’ battery of excuses, real or manufactured (they’re very busy, these amps are hand-built, they make ‘em as orders come in, etc), with no ETA or any kind of status on where my amp may be. Am I getting ahead of myself, or is this normal for Mesa products that are special ordered? I could see it if I had asked for genuine rattlesnake skin covering and platinum-plated hardware.

Also, as wonderful an amp as the M6 may be, it’s probably more amp than I need as I’m not planning on playing out, except maybe at the church. There, the players go to the board or mic their amps, anyway. My dealer said we could go to another product, which I’m ready to do, but my wife wants to stick it out mainly because the Mesa is US made and it's the one she actually bought me for X-Mas. But if they can’t (or won’t) deliver, what’s the point? Got any advice? It’d be most appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Sterling4

2. It sounds like a special gift from your wife...at the risk of generalizing without knowing all the details, I'd suggest sticking it out. You'll make the Mrs. happy, which adds a lot of value. Besides - you never know what kind of gigs might be around the corner. Better to have more horsepower than not enough.

Regarding your dealer and their relationship with Mesa, I'd consider asking them to escalate with either the store manager or owner. The argument, "They make 'em as orders come in," should be either validated by you getting your amp soon, or proven as a smokescreen through the escalation process. Good luck on this...

3. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Patience is a virtue. I waited 8 months for my 6x10 RoadReady cabinet (I have one of the first "new" ones ever made ordered new back in 2001) Soooo worth it. Stick it out.

4. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Do what your wife wants. She obviously rocks - she bought you gear for Christmas. And gear is just gear. Mesa's fine.

You asked--

--Bomb :bassist:

5. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    A friend of mine waited 6 months for an Express 5:50 combo - but his was custom ribbon mahogany. Like was said above, I'd wait it out, but you might get a little more aggressive with the dealer if you haven't before.

6. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Boy...that's sucks!! I'd probably go in another direction, especially if Mesa's giving you the run around.

Carvin has a great new head and combo....with tube preamp. I really like my....500w head and 15" speaker (or available w/2-10"). Also, made in USA, USA, USA, USA.

7. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Switch your order to a Scout combo or just wait for what you ordered. Mesa makes some great stuff. Good luck

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Apparently Mesa builds their products in batches and only when they have sufficient # of models ordered.
    I'd suggest you get on the Mesa sites dealer locator ( http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/dealers___support.htm ) and try contacting all to find one in stock closest to you. You could then just either purchase it from them (+shipping charges but usualy no tax if out of state...) or attempt to have your dealer get that amp shipped to them for you. If any other dealers have one in stock, I'm guessing you'll find them all very-very interested in selling it any way possible nowadays.

9. grimmchaos

grimmchaos Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Albany, NY
    I'd stick it out, especially considering the fact your wife picked it out for you. The last thing I would ever sell is the PRS that mine got me. I would however start getting some answers from the dealer.

10. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    As of a couple of weeks ago Zone Music in Cotati, CA had a M6 Carbine combo in stock. They seem cool to deal with.

11. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Washington DC
    I'd consider this as well (if you can get it faster). The Scout is awesome and should be plenty loud for most of your gigs, if not all of them. It's also much more portable.

12. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Why Mesa? There are plenty of other amps that are made in the U.S that you could get right now. I'm not saying that Mesa isnt worth the wait, but if you want a amp now.....

13. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Squeaky wheel. Don't allow Mesa to blow you off. They took your money and you have every right to verify the status of your order. Since this isn't a dealer issue, as the dealer doesn't have the product in-hand, you must bypass them and go straight to the source. The dealer, however, can go to bat for you (and should, if he wants to maintain you as a customer) and come at the manufacturer from a different angle.

The combination of you calling a lot and the dealer calling on your behalf should get you at least some update.

14. Guess im the black sheep. If they havent even given an estimated date take your $$ and go elsewhere. This is an amp not a spaceship. They didnt have a hard time taking your money but clearly they are having a hard time coming through with anything including an answer.

15. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think it's been covered pretty well. You would do well to stick it out- it sounds like your wife really wants that. Mesa amps also rule, so you've got that going for you too.

I'd suggest trying another dealer, or just calling a lot until they get the wheels to start moving.

16. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee
    Uhhh. I would have cancelled the order two months ago. There are way too many options out there to put up with bad customer service. I wouldn't order a replacement through this dealer either. They should be doing a better job on your behalf. I'm sure your wife and you can work something out to make up for it. :)

17. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

Haunt your local dealer and practice poorly at loud volumes until they settle this with Mesa. :)

18. All I will say is that if MY wife bought ME more amplifier than I ever needed the first thing I'd do is fall over dead from the sheer shock of it all and then if I managed to come back to life again I'd wait for it to come in. :hyper:

19. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    My understanding is that customer service reps don't have the same access to order status info as dealer reps. The dealer I buy new Mesa gear from (Zone in Cotati) has a good relationship with their dealer rep and I typically am able to get pretty good info from them. I recently ordered a 4 ohm PH212... it took two months. At around 6 weeks I called the customer service rep and all I got was "I don't have access to that info, have your dealer call their dealer rep." I called Zone and asked them to call their dealer rep to find out what the delivery date status was and received fairly accurate info... +/- 3 or 4 days of actual delivery.

20. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    anderbass is right...Mesa builds their amps in batches, so you'll have to wait til they get around to doing the run of Carbine/combos.