1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My wife is a wise woman

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by p0werslav3, Apr 27, 2010.

1. p0werslav3

p0werslav3

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've been messing around with my guitar recently (I know, I know :eek:) and here's how the conversation went with my wife tonight:

Me "Can you hear me practicing the guitar in the basement?"
    Wife "Yep"
    Me "What do you think?"
    Wife "I prefer you playing the bass"
    Me "Why's that, does my guitar playing suck"
    Wife "No, the bass just sounds cooler than a guitar"

:bassist:

No bass playin', no booty shakin'

2. Warrior_Bass

Warrior_Bass

Mar 10, 2010
    Nice catch.

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Wise woman! Don't let that one get away...

My dog will lay beside me in front of my speakers when I'm playing my bass. But if I play guitar, she'll leave the room. And while my guitar playing DOES suck, in my dog's case, I think the higher frequencies of a guitar bother her ears. It's almost like she finds the low bass frequencies soothing.

4. My practice amp is right in front of my snake's habitat.
    She sleeps through guitar playing but always comes out to watch bass practice.

It doesn't hurt my feelings at all that snakes have no ears, but are sensitive to vibrations through the ground.

I think I'm going to write a song called "Feeding Time" and play it whenever appropriate, on bass of course.

5. Characteristic of humans as well. The lower the frequencies: the more pleasantly they're received to our ears.

6. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Ever see the "Whacking Day" episode of The Simpsons?

7. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    ... my fiance' plays guitar...

8. thwump64

thwump64

Feb 2, 2010
    Oshawa, ON
    I'm so sorry. ;)

9. lucky you. i've had to try and explain what bass is/does to girls who apparently can't tell the difference between the bass and drums when they listen to a song.. because they don't realise that drums don't carry melody..

10. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    I wish I have one like that! Congrats!

11. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I was thinking the same thing, one of my favorite episodes. Lisa plays bass for Barry White!

"It started out as an excuse to beat up the Irish!"

12. Right! And IIRC, there's a magic note.... "Just have a seat on my cab for a minute, honey, I wanna play a tune for you."

Mmmmm.

13. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    My stepdaughter cracked me up. My husband plays guitar and she came into our room and saw my bass up on a stand and my husbands guitar next to it. She points to the bass and says:

"Is that one for girls because it only has four strings?"

We just laughed.

14. p0werslav3

p0werslav3

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wasn't there a scene like this in the Howard Stern movie :D

15. My baby girl loves the "dum-dum" as she calls my bass (flatwounds, ya know). When I go over to my bro's house, who's a pro guitar player to be (he's studying to make it a career, God bless him), and he tries to play some guitar for her he yells "dum-dum, dum-dum!" and goes away.

Me, I'm trying to buy a cheap guitar to lay out some ideas, but my wife ALWAYS gives some reason no to. I'm beggining to suspect that she's stalling me cause he likes bass better.

16. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    weird. when I play my upright my dog will sit right at my feet and just kinda sit there watching. she seems to love it.

17. C47

C47

Mar 16, 2010
    New Hampshire
    My cat always parks itself on my practice amp when I use it.
    She purrs and sways when I play the bass.

She runs when I pick up my strat.

But then so do most humans.

18. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    LOVE THIS!!!! My wife is the same way... I moved my stuff from the living room to a back room and she asked me to move it back... she said she likes to listen to me play :) Gotta love women like this!!!!! :)

19. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    My wife greatly prefers the sound of bass to guitar as well. In fact, she's gotten to the point where she'll be humming the bass lines rather than the melodies, and, if the bass part is not that audible in the mix, or lacking, she comments on it. We took the kids to a Christian concert of some local groups a few weeks ago. One group was a guitarist, a vocalist, and a drummer. They were tight and honestly tore it up. My wife turns to me with a smile - they're good, but with no bass it's empty, and it really makes clear what a good bass player can add to a band's sound.

As far as the animals liking the bass, my rabbits all enjoy the bass when I practice. The oldest will plop himself right in front of the cab and sprawl out if he's out of the cage when I'm practicing. Our dog also comes in the room, but leaves if I hit the fuzz pedal.

20. Smart women marry bass players. Just ask my wife.