1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My wife playing Beatles Rock Band...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TimBosby, Oct 15, 2009.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    She got Beatles Rock Band for her birthday today and is playing it in the other room.

Some things I heard that made me laugh...

"Bass is actually more fun!"

Followed by...

"Bass is hard because it uses the fifth fret and I only have four fingers!"

Hahaha. :D

2. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I gave my wife RB: Beatles for her birthday last week, she loves it.

3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I'm not a huge fan of PLAYING those games, but I do enjoy watching other people play them because the graphics and details they throw in are incredible. The Beatles one is the best one I've seen. I think it was either Yellow Submarine or Octopus's Garden where they show the Beatles playing underwater and there are all these sea creatures swimming around... it's a trip.

If the ever make a Zeppelin one, I'd be ecstatic!

4. kugelspot

kugelspot

Jun 8, 2009
    I have such mixed feelings about Rock band and Guitar Hero. On one hand, it makes people think they can play guitar and some people take it way to seriously. On the other hand, Guitar Hero introduces 12 year olds to classic rock, and my friend played Guitar Hero at my house once (yes, as much as I resent the games, I owned Guitar Hero 1 until my PS2 died) and was good at it, so he decided to try guitar (and 4 years later he's still playing). As misguided as that belief is, this happens to enough people that a few of them will actually stick with it.

I'm sorry if I came off as a buzz kill, I've never played Beatles Rock Band, but a friend of mine has the normal version and it is pretty fun

5. Well unfortunately this is the exact opposite of my personal experience. In my case my step son age 17 at the time last Christmas had been playing rock band with friends, and for Christmas he wanted a guitar. Well my response was OUTSTANDING, and A guitar and practice amp he got. Well Christmas morning came he un-wrapped the gear and was elated. He commenced to plug it in crank it up and suddenly started whailin in a windmill like Pete Townsend. Of course he broke half of the strings 3 seconds after turning it on. I instructed him that that is obviously not the way you play guitar, and questioned him as to where he had learned that. The answer was playing rock band. well I sorted that out, helped him restring the guitar, and attempted to teach him how to tune the guitar... then his response was " this is not as much fun as rock band! I proceeded to get him instructional books, DVD's, and even offered lessons. The reaction was " this is a lot more like work, then I thought it would be" . Nearly a year ago, and with constant encouragement from his mother and I, and he can not even properly tune the thing up. So IMO rock band has given these kids the misguided illusion that playing an instrument is easy and involves no work or commitment at all . No learning curve, no practice, just plug it in, turn it up and let er rip. HMMMM, come to think of it that is what most of the new bands sound like.

6. Two of my nephews picked up real instruments after playing Rock Band. My 12-year old nephew picked up drums and he is becoming really good and my 15 year-old niece picked up bass because, according to my SIL, "bass is easier" (which is even dumber to say that my niece has small hand and they bought us a 34-in bass).

I also would rather see the kids play Rock Band than play any of those uber-violent games.

7. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I hate to admit it, but I've had a similar experience with both of my sons. They own guitars, older one has a bass too, they both took a few lessons, and both have lost interest when faced with the fact that practice is required to be any good.
    Not everyone is meant to play music, even if parent(s) play. Some are meant to be fans only. Can't force your kid to get into it, all you can do is give them the chance.
    +1,000,000,000

8. Byzcat

Byzcat

Aug 3, 2009
    Lynn, Mass

What breed of bass?

Because I have very small hands and play a 34-incher with no problems (it's fun seeing the pained look on my teacher's face when I stretch my tiny paws over the lower end of the fretboard).

A Fender/Squier J, G&L SB-2 and Ibanez SoundGear (which is what I'm playing now) have necks that are very narrow at the nut, and believe me, that makes all the difference in the world for a small-handed player. I've also heard tell of small-handed women successfully wrangling a P-Bass, but since I injured my thumb playing an el cheapo instrument that was badly balanced and had a baseball bat for a neck, I'm sticking with the narrow-necked varieties to avoid re-injury.

9. G-sound

G-sound

Oct 30, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD
    Isn't it really up to a kid's parent to teach him that Rock Band is a game and that learning an instrument is a skill and skill takes work to develop? If a kid thinks otherwise, it's really not the fault of the game or the game maker.

My 14 year old son played bass and guitar before we even had Rock Band in the house. He loves playing the game, but he also loves trying to imitate his favorite players on guitar.

My 11 year old daughter took piano lessons for a year and hated to practice. She's more into singing, but wants to try learning drums after having played RB. She'll be told that she'll have to take lessons and practice every night and will have to stick with it for at least a year. I won't allow her to think she can play real drums just because she can play RB, but it might just be what gets her started.

It all really comes back to the parents.