1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Wife told me to effect. Please read your input is needed.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Dec 15, 2018.

1. I want to buy a multi effects pedal just for church and just for bass. I will just use my existing for gifs out of church. So talk to my wife she said get something I would be happy with, and won't get rid of in a month, and it will just be used at church. I want new and to stay under $500.00 so give me and idea of whats out there, and I don't want to be a computer expert to operate it. Thanks once again and I will probably by it from Sweetwater Music my go to place.

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Kodak moment...

... right then, you should have lovingly caressed her face, looking straight into her eyes, saying, "After all these years together, I'm happy you didn't get rid of me after a month."

Then, buy every pedal you can get your greedy little hands on...

3. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    Zoom B3n is a good multi effects unit, and will leave most of your budget free to buy more goodies. You don't have to be an electronics expert to use it, but it will probably take a couple of days to get used to the controls.
    I used the older verion zoom b3 for years for everything from headphone practice to gigs, and recently changed to B3n.

ppiluk, hintz and Johno Dunn like this.
  4. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Zoom B3n. I used mine in church for years. Only drawback is no DI, but I never needed one. With a budget of $500, you can get a brand new B3n and a good DI to go with it. And probably a new board to put em on.

5. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)

For the price I was gonna say the B3N as well. Question Johno Dunn, I've seen you on the Helix Stomp thread: do the sounds on the Helix really justify the cost compared to the B3N? Also, which is easier to use in a live setting?

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Can you extend to $600? The Line 6 HXFX and HX Stomp are arguably the best out there right now.

If you're planning to go ampless at church the HX Stomp does amp sims.

7. Johno Dunn

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    The tones in the Stomp are that much better! The B3n was easier to get around on live by itself. The Stomp needs help to navigate live. I added a DMC Micro midi pedal and an auxiliary double footswitch to mine for ease of live use. But the cost, if you can afford it, is worth it!

8. I ended up ordering a MXR Chorus, and a drum machine to practice with. I tried all the Multi effects I could find in music stores, they just didn't turn me on at all. So I am using single pedals. And going to take the rest of my money to rebuild a P bass.

G-Z likes this.
  9. They imitated cabs and amps and a lot of crap I would never use, at church I use a SWR 350 head and a SWR 410 and I love it. Why would I want to change the sound of it, on gigs out side of the church i use a MarkBass Jeff Berlin 151p, I bought those amps because I like it. And you can't make a pedal sound like a Ampeg unless you put the guts of an Ampeg in it. If I could I would just use my Keeley Bassist and a delay.

10. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Ooooh... you waited a whole day to order. Such restraint.

11. Johno Dunn

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    The deal with the new Multi’s is, you have to commit to one. You can’t demo one in a music store, and have any clue what it is capable of. You need to pick one, and DIG IN! Then you wil know whether it works for you, or not.

12. Your probably run right , but I am 67 years old . I really don't want to spend time messing with one. I want to spend my time playing. Back in the 90s when I played guitar Christian metal , I used a rack system with a midi pedal. But now I just want simple. If I had my way I would use know effects, be t my worship team likes them. Myself I could get by with my Keeley Bassist and my Boss DD-3 delay. Sometimes people use effects more then talent.

13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Yesssss...

"Pay no attention, to the man behind the curtain."

Even with all the bells and whistles, Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkle Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs (Wizard of Oz) wasn't much of a wizard, at all...

14. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Octave Divider, Chorus, and Envelope Filter are good effects to have.

15. Dude, got wife's approval to buy something!! You are doing OK!!!

JRA likes this.
  16. I have an awesome wife she is a RN and she spent 13 years in the Army as a nurse, she is a musician herself she plays clarinet in our worship band.

17. I like the BOSS ME50B; there are cooler multis out there, but I really like I that I can look down and see the settings via the knobs, instead of having to tap-dance thru a bunch of menus and read an watch-sized LCD six feet away.

18. I use my Zoom B3n and a Tech 21 Sans Amp as a DI...I just leave the Sans Amp off. It works really well.

Johno Dunn likes this.
  19. I have nothing against them, just not for me I guess.

saabfender likes this.