1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My wife's "new" Hofner 500/1 violin bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ghastly, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    New for her, that is. It's used. With the help of my folks I was able to secure a '62 reissue made in 2003, in fantastic shape for her. She's a guitarist, but has been showing interest in playing the bass, too. So I couldn't ignore it. ;) It's shocking how expensive the German-made models are, even used. But I must say, it is a much nicer bass in person than I thought it would be. I just wanted to show it off.

Here's to a Happy New Year!

Hofner%20bass.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  2. west al

west al Ready, PLAY! Supporting Member

Wow! Nice man!

Ghastly likes this.
  3. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Liberty Township
    Wow!

You bought your wife a Hofner because she wanted it while my wife bought me a Hofner because I wanted one.

Your wife and I have something in common - we married the right person!

4. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Beautiful!

Ghastly likes this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'll bet it looks good on her too. :thumbsup:

Ghastly likes this.
  6. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Nice...

Ghastly likes this.
  7. Can we expect a picture of her holding the bass in a proud and excited fashion?

Matthew_84, 40Hz and Ghastly like this.
  8. Those German-made Höfners are also expensive because they're made like a violin, and it's ALL done by hand (no CNC or automation).

9. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Yes, we're on the road at the moment and haven't been able to take a proper shot with her, but I will. :thumbsup:

10. skygzr

skygzr

Feb 23, 2015
    Southeast US
    I have one of the inexpensive ones. I'd love to play it side by side with one of the handmade and understand the difference. Nice find!

Ghastly and Rocker949 like this.
  11. What an amazing gift! I hope she enjoys it for as long as Paul has enjoyed his!

Ghastly likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021