My Wish List!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, May 1, 2003.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've finally gotten the motivation to create a full list of the basses I'd like to buy at some point during my life. Feel free to critique my sanity.

Ernie Ball Music Man (trans. teal, rw neck, matching headstock, black pickguard)
    '76 Fender P-bass (natural, rw neck, black pearl p/g, SD pup)
    Tobias Toby Pro 5 (satin natural w/ basslines p/up and preamp)
    Rickenbacker 4003 (turquoise)
    Warwick Dolphin Pro 5
    Dean Rhapsody 12 string
    Lakland Joe Osbourne 5
    Modulus Flea (blue sparkle)
    G&L L2000

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Here is mine:

Fodera Imperial 5 hard ash body etc etc (look up old threads)
    Benavente SC5 with EMG PJ's midi out and SIMS sensilight LED's
    Bassline Worp 5
    Fodera fretless 6 (gonna get another one later, cant afford to keep mine now :meh: )
    Roscoe 7
    Conklin 7

One day I will have all of this stuff...Imperial 5 is already on order ;)
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    that's a pretty respectable list, Patrick.
    Sanity-wise, just one question:
    have you played these, or is it more of a fantasizing situation? Either way, that's a pretty versatile lot there. One could certainly live with that arsenal!

I'm going to resist the temptation to go nuts here, my list would be ... long.
  4. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I have indeed played them all with the exception of the Tobias, Warwick, and G&L. Al though I have played a Tobias Killer B and many different Warwick models, which I all loved. There might be even more added to the list. It will happen. The Fender and Ernie Ball are strictly for my pop-punk picking style, and maybe the G&L and Modulus, too. Rest are simply for my urge to own a versatile array of basses.

5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    sounds good then. The thing I remember about the Dolphin was that it had the fattest/roundest neck I'd ever played. But you've probably noticed that if you've played other Warwicks.

The G&L's are great; extremely versatile and easy to find used at a good price. In fact, they could almost make a couple of the basses on your list redundant. Wait a minute, can any bass be redundant?! Strike that...

Sounds like you need to come down to our Bass Summit in AL. We hope to assemble quite the array of bassitude.

say, would any of these hypothetical basses be fretless? Ya gots ta have some of them!
  6. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Just curious, but why '76 for the P-bass? I prefer them from earlier in the '70s personally (I can't even begin to afford anything from the 1960s).

Also why the Toby? Since this is a wish list I say go for a real Mike Tobias bass, either a pre-Gibson Tobias or an MTD.

Otherwise it looks pretty good!
  7. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    And for my own list...

Ric 4001
    '72 or so P Bass
    Lakland JO5
    some sort of neck-thru 5 string Smith
    Rob Allen fretless
    Status Buzzard (for the sheer hell of it)
    MM Sterling & Stingray 5
    some 1970's Jazzes (fretted and fretless)
    a Sadowsky or two
    maybe an Alembic
    MTD 635
    and a couple mutant frankenbasses that I throw together myself
  8. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I want a 76 because I tend to see that they are cheaper and more lightweight. Plus its just a random thought iin my hand that I want one from that year. I played one today and it was by far best and most comfortable P-bass I've ever played.

I want the Toby simply because I like the Tobias look and name. I think I need at least one mid-priced bass in my repetiore. It will surely sound good with the new pickups and preamp.

I'd prefer no fretless since I am not that talented for fretless and I don't like the sound too much. Its too dark sounding for me. But hey, you never know.

9. bieger

Aug 28, 2002

I'll take one of these :)
    I haven't played one, but if it's anything like my Curbow XT-33, awwww man... makes some beautiful instruments but I have no idea how they play or sound.
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Benavente 51 ash body fretted [​IMG] got that one already!
    Benavente 51 mahogany body/wenge neck fretless

Sadowsky Marcus 5
    Fender Marcus 5

nice plywood upright
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I just ordered the #1 bass on my wish list: a Darrin Huff Zero-5.

I'd like to own a Sadowsky P5, but that doesn't exist.
    I'd like to own a Lakland Glaub 5 but that doesn't exist either.
    I'd like to own a "wide" Music Man Stingray 5 but even that doesn't exist.

If I had unlimited funds I think I'd buy a couple more Zero 5's and a couple more MTD 535's, in various colors and woods.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As for your list: what Dan Gouge said.
  13. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    My list is quite general, as I have yet to try many of the basses that exist.

it would go something like this:

1. my HM4,
    2. a 4 or 6 string wideneck warwick, (I need growl)
    3. a fretless lightwave Zon, (I need MWAH)
    4. a conklin 8 string kinda like JT's fretted, (I need extended range up the wazoo)
    5. a basslab (why not?)
    6. a very well made '51 P (emphasis on well made. Just like the fender RI, but without the buzz etc.)

It's late, and I can't think of any more, think I got em all.
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my wish list goes like this:

jazz of some sort w/ maple board and flats
    warwick ss2 5 string w/ EMG's and U-Retro
    warwick lx 6 fretless w/EMG's and U Retro
    warwick jimmy earl ss2 5string (ash body, maple board, maple/wenge neck) w/ dimarzio ultra jazz pickups - this one will be hard as hell to find, but they're out there
    warwick ss1 4

but i'll be really happy to just have my ss2 and thumb and a jazz.
  15. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I currently own a MIA P-Bass (Rosewood and Ash) and a Jaco tribute fretless (Pau Ferro and Alder)
    My list consists of:
    A '62 reissue P-bass setup like the funk machine
    A '75 reissue rosewood neck with pearl inlays (or a Fodera NYC or maybe a Monarch [with jazz pickup config] if I got rich somehow)
    A RB5 (just for 5string versatility :p )
    if I got all these... then:
    A Ash P-Bass with Maple neck (Dunno why just want a maple colored neck on one of my basses :p)
    A Heinwickel 7, so I can feel like JT and play a 7string, only I wouldn't use it as my main bass, just an option to tinker with :p
    Maybe some high-end fender, a Sadowsky? or a Celinder? or maybe something custom made after that.. but being an unemployed 18 year old trying to save up for an EBS rig right now.. this'll take me a while to accomplish
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D if you really want to feel like me, you need to get a conklin. :D that and shave your head on the sides.

on the other hand, i played a 7 string hanewinckel at the namm show and it was a very nice instrument indeed.
  17. My (current) list

A Warmoth Bass
    Musicman Silhouette Bass Guitar
    Custom Lightwave Basslab bass
    Fender Japan PB-57-70US
    Hanewinckel Signature series reactor
  18. I currently own a deluxe fender jazz and a fender p, both MIM. The p is hot rodded with a seymour duncan 1/4 lb. As far as my wish list goes...
    '62 Fender P bass, sunburst w/ tort pickguard
    '70's Jazz (no specific year)
    I would also like to build a Tracter bass, like Berry Oakley's. I'd like to get a MIM jazz body (sage green) with a '70s neck (rosewood, block inlays). I've already got the Guild Starfire HB to put in the neck. I don't know if I'd do the controls like he did though. I'd probably move the original jazz neck pu back (like his), but hard wire it to the bridge pu so the bass would still behave like a 2 pu bass. Oh, and I'd replace the MIM stock pup's w/ vintage ri jazz pup's.
  19. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i own
    Rick 4001
    Fender P
    G&L L2000

i am pretty happy.
    would like to add

Fender P Elite II

Fender P Deluxe V 2002

a Jazz bass handmade by a local luthier:
    swamp ash body with ebony macassar top. 2 piece maple neck with rosewood fretboard. 2 jazz style villex pickups.

and a cheap fretless just to start.

said that i know that i won't be able to buy a bass for a couple of yaears....:bawl:
  20. tonedef

Oct 18, 2001
    Carlisle, England