Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my wishbass is done (for now)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Jan 2, 2006.

1. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kerry_retort/detail?.dir=7bde&.dnm=b436.jpg&.src=ph

what i've done to it...

refinished it (removed most of that hand painted nitrocellulose lacquer and put on a poly/oil wipe-on finish

poly on the fingerboard (nice and smooooooth)

nylon tape strings (labellas...sound AWESOME)

bridge saddles (indi bridge saddles set into channels (I used a dremel to cut the channels)

Fender thumb-rest...

parallel/series toggle (the pickup is a KA soapbar...:) )

shielded the electronics cavity

chrome hipshot knob (much better than that orange plastic "les paul?" thing)

i think she looks pretty good, what do you think?

next project for her, maybe...a purpleheart ramp that doubles as a pickup cover...wish didn't do a great job on the pickup rout and I'm wanting a ramp anyway...I'm gonna have my brother CNC it for me...

I think she looks

2. That is hideous!

But im sure it is 100 times better than what it was....

3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    other than the horrid headstock... it actually looks nice. :eek:

4. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Nice. After you removed the original finish, did you do a lot of sanding to smooth out the wood?

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    When I first read the title of this thread I pictured a guy standing soaked in sweat and blood over a bunch of wood chips with an axe in his hand.

But what you did is kool, too!

Yes, the blood was a necessary part of the vision.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Congrats. You've gone from Wishbass to Ritter! :D

[​IMG]

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Wish basses wouldn't be so damn hideous if it wasn't for the headstock :spit:

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Best looking Wishbass I've seen. And no, I'm not being sarcastic this time.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1 on both of the last posts. It is indeed nice minus headstock, and it is the best wish body ive seen.

10. That looks pretty good, again, bar the headstock!

11. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Quite a project, looks good for a Wishbass, actually very good for a Wishbass. I've seen some I consider unrecoverable though.

12. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Good for you, man, the bass looks great and it seems you've corrected the really obvious flaws that our guy Wish always seems to ignore .... Nice job ...... :cool:

13. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Nice. Now all you need to do is carve the neck down and add a truss rod :)

14. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Wow, that looks good...cept the headstock.

If it weren't for the headstock I wouldn't even suspect its a Wish...but thats just me.

15. Truss rod, schmuss rod. Who needs a truss rod when your neck is 3" thick.

:D

- Dave

16. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    No truss rod, huh? Do they call it a wishbass, because you wish you had bought something else?

:bag:

17. the photo doesn't do the figure in the maple any justice. For once, this bass actually looks better in person than in a photograph (that took a bit of work).

As far as the trussrods...yes, the neck is THICK...but it really is quite comfortable to play once you get your head around it. It actually forces me to use good thumb position technique which in turn relaxes my fingers. In other words, it works (for some at least). Would I have a high end custom built this way? Ummm...ARE YOU KIDDING ME? no. I like a normal neck because its easier to switch from instrument to instrument that way.

As far as the headstock...the basic design is really pretty functional (all the tuners accessible from the back) and the tuners are good quality Grovers, which I'd probably use again on a future instrument.
    The thing that's missing from the headstock is attention to detail...nothing attractive about the shaping...too much wood on the top...strings were digging into the edge of the hole (a slight bevel edge corrected this in 20 minutes).

Would I use a headstock like this again? On an upright bass, yes, definitely...on a horizontal bass guitar, probably not.

I've also had to opportunity to scrutinize the build process and determine what I liked and disliked about the bass which will go a long way when I go to build my own (in about 5-10 years at this rate :D).

I've enjoyed the process and learned a lot along the way.

Thanks for the kind words and honest opinions. Wish has made 200+ basses since this one (mine is #350) and I've only seen 2 or 3 that I think stack up to this one.

18. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Hey Pilbara, I'm just busting your balls. I think you've done a great job. Besides, there's no trussrod in an upright and the neck profile is about the same from what I've seen, and upright players don't complain about it.

The best way to get ready for your first 'scratch' build is exactly what you're doing. Keep at it!

19. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I think all the upgrades are worth more than the bass itself, but good going!

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I'am I the only one who thinks, Wish should have do these upgrades before selling bass?
    This should be standard on all Wishbasses?
    Yes I did own one, a fretless 5-string.
    And Yes the headstock has to go.
    The headstock on my wishbass, was 9 in. long.