Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Wishbass is ready

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncle Fat, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Uncle Fat

Uncle Fat Guest

Mar 14, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Well, it took a while, but he sent me this picture today. I've got to send him the second half of the payment plus shipping, and I'll have it. The pickup, control knob and switch, tuners, and bridge are ones that I sent him (I got them from the good folks at Carvin). Before you bash the body style, know that I sent him a sketch, and he duplicated it pretty well. The bass is a 38" scale EUB (not radiused) with a walnut body, and purpleheart fingerboard. The only thing I'm concerned about is the masking tape on the side???.

Once I get it and play it on a gig, I'll post a full review and an audio sample or two....

uf[​IMG]

2. that's actually pretty damn cool. i'm interested to know why you decided to use a magnetic pickup and no radius for an EUB. interesting combination of choices, all around -- looking forward to a more in-depth report.

robb.

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Um, yeah I think it's pretty cool. Good idea on sending him the hardware cause his bridges are usually angled in the wrong direction.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Actually the shape is probably the nicest Wish I've seen.

Did you intend for the nut spacing to be just as wide as the bridge spacing? Also, why a flat board?

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

[​IMG] Very cool! Looking forward to the review.

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    did you give him a trussrod? I'm not sure he uses those either...

7. That looks like a functional and cool-looking Wishnevsky... has the world gone mad? :eek:

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm fairly impressed...for a wishy it looks great. It looks rough of course but it also looks pretty functional! And I'm sure it was a great price...not bad man. :)

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hey jared did the TB member wish reach your doorstep yet?

also, that is one sick bass. very stylish, and looks like it can play.

check out those monsters in the back room :eek:
    some things never change.

10. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    The thing that really bothers me about all wishbasses is that the routing for the pickups is just bad. I suppose it is functional, though, as somebody else said.

11. Uncle Fat

Uncle Fat Guest

Mar 14, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the comments y'all. As far as the flat neck, I had the hardware lying around and wanted to use it up. If he used a radiused neck, I wouldn't have been able to use the bridge and p'up. I thought that if a guy is selling me this thing for $300, he's probably not using top notch hardware. It just seemed better to use mine. I really don't even know how to use a bow anyway. Maybe one day, I'll get a Ned Steinberger and learn to play arco. But for now (having just been laid off from the day job), this is what I can buy.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Oh yeah: let us know if there are any gaps between the bridge and the body. :bag:

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Nah it hasn't reached here yet. It probably never will to be honest. I don't even know who has it anymore.

14. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I really like the look!
    If he could build one that is fonctional, it would be great!
    I would love to buy a cheap EUB.

15. If it weren't for the headstock, I'd be GASsin HARD.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey don't knock the masking tape...that's probably what holds the body together.

:p

brad cook

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

How does the player access the upper 15" or so of the neck.....or is it just there for no apparent reason :confused:

Not to be a prick, just being honest. It appears that only about 2/3rd's of the fretboard is accessible.

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Haven't you noticed that on all EUBs/DBs? It is called thumb position. DBers use a different left hand technique in that register.

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    thumb position... it is 38" scale EUB (I'm assuming)

[edit] story of my life... a day late and a dollar short :meh: [/edit]

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Wow, hate to say it.....but that's puuuuurrty. I think an active pre, and a piezo might make something like that a very interesting instrument to own!