My WishBass was delivered today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickj, Feb 20, 2004.

1. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    It kicks a__. Mr. Wish knows how to make a mean playing/sounding bass.

I've only had 20 minutes or so with it, so I'll definitely get a review up once I've inspected every nook.

7 strings (toyed around with 8 for a while, but stuck with 7)
    EMG Select pickups & 1 volume control
    Walnut body, light quilted maple & purpleneck neck, jatoba fingerboard
    Singlecut design (mine + influences)
    Conklin strings (Snakeskins?)

It's unfinished, I plan on finishing it myself.
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    La Plata huh? My cousin is the town manager. Did that tornado cause you any damage?

Hope you enjoy your new bass.
  3. yeah pics.. im still wondering how good these basses are.
  4. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I'll get more pics later.. the camera batt died after the first one (lousy HP battery hogs!).

It's a great sounding beast, very solidly built.

5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Welcome to the Wishy Zone! Looks good!
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Interesting body shape, and I like the looks of that fingerboard. Are you finding that you get a different sound out of the A string than the others due to its being the only string that's squarely sensed by two coils? (Looks like the G could have a little problem also.)
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im sorry. ;)

Seriously though, thats the nicest Wishbass Ive seen. Possibly the only nice one.

The strings apear to be over the board, the neck looks like an ok size.

Heres the big question:
    Does it have a truss rod?

8. Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    how much did that cost you?
    im not a big fan of wishy... he can build a better bass than i can, but that's not saying much really.
  9. id be interested to hear your review... harmony central reviews are good but i spent a good amount of time searching this forum and the general opinion seems to be that wish is a clown and his basses have terrible build quality

no offence, but arent emg select pickups generally regarded as really crappy? in the article i read about wish he said that the wood was more important than the pickups... i guess ill wait for your review
  10. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I took care of that last night. I routed out a bit more on the bass side to shift the 1st part over about a centimeter to the left (filled in the gap with maple colored wood putty, shouldn't be too noticable).

The output on the A was a bit higher and uneven, and the output on the F# was nearly nonexistant (shifting over the string on the bridge fixed it, so I know it was a polepiece position problem).

The G string is fine. I don't know anything about EMG Select pickups (other than pickups w/ text on the cover look *schwank* :D), but I suspect that they have blade style magnet/pole pieces rather than traditional Fender style because other than where the 2 pickups overlap snignificantly, the output is pretty even.

The sound of this thing is incredible. I know he gets a bad rap on cosmetics and appearance, but Mr Wish knows how to make a good sounding bass. The neck is pretty huge, but like a lot of other people, I'm finding it easy to play and a lot less awkward to finger. There's also 0 neck dive. Very well balanced, and in spite of it's mass it weighs (subjective - I'll put it on a scale later) a little less than my BTB6. Definitely a lot lighter than my old Yamaha JM6.

I've put on the first coat of tung oil and the wood has really come alive. Can't tell from the picture, but the maple in the neck is 2.5-3A quilty/flamey (something). Didn't request it specifically, but definitely looks nice. The walnut has also darkened a great deal now w/ oil.

I've had only one problem with it, and I don't know who to attribute it to (Mr Wish, FedEx, Newton, etc). The center Purple/Maple/Purple block laminations in the headstock came loose during shipping. Not a big deal, I reglued it back into place immediately (Weldbond saves the day) and it's solid again. While I've never seen the 'Buy A Wish' bass in person, I've seen all the pics and I've built my own basses so I know what goes into one - the build process between that bass and mine has considerably improved. No visible glue/seams, burns/marks, scratches, etc etc.

Harmonics, harmonics, harmonics. (en- ; i know :p ) :up:

I've read all the reviews and the topics here so I know a lot of people have a lot of varying views on Wish Basses, but the main thing that sold me on getting one built were the sound samples people posted. I'm not too big a fan of some of Wish's other designs (Motley, Fantasy, etc - I do like the peanut style though), but Wish definitely has something going in making a good sounding instrument.

I'll get sound clips up soon.

11. funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    I've read all the negative Wish reviews on here, and it sounds to me that, for the most part, it's people just repeating what they've heard elsewhere. Even if the reviews are all based on actual experience with his basses, they still tend to treat him as if he's trying to compete with Luthiers who sell axes at 4-6 times the price Wish does. His philosophy is very different from most Luthiers.. here's a good article that pretty much sums it up:

He doesn't build basses for people with fat wallets looking for tone shortcuts and technique compensators... he builds basses for po' folks like me who know what they want and why they want it.. and on one hell of a budget.

Not for everybody, no... but put in the right hands, these basses sure can make one happy. And this has happened more often than not.

12. funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    p.s. congrats on the Wish!
  13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    In this case the EMG select pickups do not have the traditional magnetic poles but instead have a "bar" type magnet that extends across the pickup.
  14. Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    no, its not simply parroting others opinions...
    the first thing patrickj says he did to the bass was chisle the body and move the pups to get equal output. that is the sort of thing i (and many others) dont think a person should have to do the their brand new, hand-built bass. look at the photos of patricks bass. the laminates are uneven with the neck and the string-thru holes are offset on the laminates. the bridge is uneven of course, and the pups are severely misaligned. its details like this that are consistantly missed by wishy, and thats why so many people hate his work.
    if it isnt important to you, then thats good and well. if youre happy with his basses i wont try to dissuade you. but dont imply that i am a snob, an elitist, or jumping on the bandwagon for not praising those basses.
  15. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    All the other stuff aside, Who's up for a Wishbass Gallery thread?
  16. Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    although i do like a few of the basses he has made. i just hate the fact the man has no eye for detail.
    if he made this bass and kept detail oriented during the build process id buy it today:
  17. funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    I didn't mean to imply elitism, I apologize if that's how it came across... I did make sure to say "for the most part". I don't own a Wish but I've played about a half dozen of them, and done small mods on 2. the way I see it, he provides someone with a custom bass for less than I could do "at cost", and they're "not bad".. not great, no, but not bad. I'm not calling for anyone to praise him, I just don't think most of the criticism he receives is put into perspective.

That said, it's a given that prospective buyers should know what they're getting. With Wish I don't think it's fair to say that they're getting "crap", because the ones I've played were really quite good. I will very likely end up getting one miself.. knowing what I'm getting, and why. A "kit" bass, that will require a bit of work on my end. For $300 I can afford to experiment. and as has been said many times before.... if I don't like it, it'll look great hanging on my wall! :D

Wish is very responsive to criticism, and he DOES put extra care in when the buyers keep good communication with them(which you'd think everyone would do, but that's not always the case). He'll always take a bass back and make changes to it if a buyer isn't satisfied.. no, this isn't convenient for those outside of Appalachia, but my point is that he's willing to do far more for his custmers than the retailers of any other $300 bass.

(I'd love to see a Wish gallery)
  18. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I think I do need to say that I bought the bass intending to do work on it. Also, I bought the bass knowing that it wouldn't be Fender Custom Shop perfect when it was done.

I guess it comes down to 'research befor you buy'. I got my WishBass because I didn't have the time (new job + new puppy = 0 free time) to build myself another (I've got 3 bases WIP just sitting since about February '03). A full bass I didn't have time for. A project bass, well that's easier to devote resources to.

A part of me says that yes, these things should be non-issue (I had to reverse one of the P-bass halves today because of polarity problems, and I also put on a new nut to 100% make the alignment straight). But at the same time, the practical part of me says Steve is one man doing a one man job. And for the money I paid, 'good enough' is good enough.

Also, it should be said that Steve himself tells you that his basses are more about playing and sound than aesthetics and show (except maybe that Banana Bass). If he does deliver (he did in my case) on what he promises, I do believe that anything else not received is a matter of the buyers uninformed expectations. You don't buy a Saturn when what you really want is a Lexus, then be bitter with the Saturn because you had the expectations of a Lexus.

$.02 :D

I'd love to see a Wish Gallery thread!
  19. wheres the gallary thread? im still wondering? lol