My worst nightmare came true yesterday

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by oystein, Mar 4, 2006.

1. oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    My worst nightmare came true yesterday, I broke my left hand wrist. Needless to say, I am in despair. According to the doctors it was a real nasty fracture, with a lot of displacement that had to be corrected. I will not give you all the dirty details, but it was awful. Right my only focus is to stand the pain, but I hope that I recover and start playing again.

rgds oystein
  2. Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Wow man. I'm so sorry to hear that. My prayers are with you. Get better soon.
  3. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I know how you feel,i broke my right wrist two years ago,
    I was in a cast for six weeks,upside full recovery and i haven't
    lost anything in terms of playabillity;hang in bro in time you'll
    be ok:D

4. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i broke my right hand a few years ago. lost my temper and put it through a cement post, twice. broke it in 3 places. the day i did it i had to play that night. fortunatley it was my pinky and ring finger and a "boxers break". i had them leave the index and middle fingers uncasted for just that night and then i had to go back and get the cast redone the next day. all i can say is this, "get well soon and take demerol"
  5. I've dislocacted my left shoulder in the past, I know how bad an injury could be. Good luck, my thoughts are with you.

PS. When you start playing again, just take it slow, and make sure you're 100% healed before attacking the bass.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Amen. Just take it slow. It probably doesn't help much to say so at this time, but the health issues I've dealt with in the past (including a cancer scare which involved waiting until after exploratory surgery to find out if it was malignant or not) have, in the end, allowed me to appreciate each moment of every day to a fuller extent than I ever could have otherwise. Good vibes headed your way across the pond from the states. Hang in there.
  7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Best wishes. My 12 year old son is in hospital at the moment with a bad leg fracture. If I could take it from him I would but I have an appreciation of what you are going through. While it did not happen to me it helps put life in perspective a bit.
  8. oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    so after 6 weeks the cast is finally off(in 2nd attempt, at the 1. after 4 weeks the fracture was not stable enough).
    Now my wrist is stiff and sore and still swollen to 1,5 x normal thickness. After all I am quite optimistic, the improveness in movement is noticeable from day to day. The biggest challenge is turning the wrist, i.e. supination and pronation. Necessary flexibility to play DB is not there yet. BG is another story.
    I have started to do movement exercises but will stay away from any strengthening exercises or bass playing for a while yet. Is has been six weeks with pain and frustration but now I am looking fwd.
    Any advices are welcome.
  9. Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've never broken anything, but I did have a bout of tendonitis which took me off the map for about 2.5 months. I can say that movement excersizes are great. There is this device, the WOW, I use it all the time. It is great for warming up, might help you once you get a little bit of strength back. To learn more or obtain it you can email Janet Horvath via

Other than that, start slow. Scales, arpeggios...not too fast, not too slow, medium dynamic in a part of the neck that is comfortable for you. If you feel any pain, stop immediately. It's frustrating, but you can do it.
  10. Good luck in your recovery. Being in this situation would be a nightmare for a lot of us musicians out there.
  11. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    Don't forget good nutrition to help the body rebuild. Best wishes for quick return to DB.
  12. oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    After my wrist fracture in March things did not work very well for me. There was misalignment and due to heavy fracture the radius bone became too short.
    Tuesday this week I had a surgery, reopened (read sawn off) my fractured radius bone in my left wrist. Bone implants were taken from my hip and used as wedges to put the radius back in normal angle and to achieve necessary length. everything is fixed with interior plate and screws.
    There will new 6 weeks in plaster but I am looking forward and the result of the surgery is said to be successful.

The word patience has got a new meaning for me after this:)
  13. I've been through many ' life changing' situations in the last few years....all I can offer, is to keep your chin up and don't be negative in any way....Here's something that might help. Do an 'Oscar Pettiford' Go and rent a cello......tune it like a bass. This will help with maintaing your chops and keep the movement going.
    I'm suggesting this, of course, as layman.....Be sure to talk to your Doc to see if this is a good idea...This is just an idea. I'd welcome anyone with any experience in this area to chime in as well.
    I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be a good idea right away....maybe later when everything starts to heal???