Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My wrist and arm is messed-up any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by greenbassfreak, Jan 14, 2004.

1. I got carpol tunnel (Is that right?)
    the other day and my doctor told me to lay off the bass and using the touch pad on my comp with my right hand but I have to play my bass and do other things so he said if i had to do stuff to keep it straight so should i buy a wrist brace, leave it alone and try and keep it straight or somthing else?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, you can lay off the bass now, get a wrist brace, listen to your doctor, and probably play bass later.

Or, you can play now, and mess up your wrist for the rest of your life. If you need to take time off, for the love of all that's holy, just take the time off. Lay off your computer. The man is a professional, and you have a real problem.

(PS- It's Carpal Tunnel.)

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Stop pleasuring yourself.

:p

Just get the brace and wear it whenever you can.

4. I bought a brace earlier and called my doctor and he said that i could play if it doesnt hurt, wear brace and keep doing my physical therapy stuff

5. When using your pc, use something like a small pillow under your wrist, wether you're typing or using the mouse.. I do that all the time to soften the pressure of the weight of my hand on my wrist.. and also wear a brace althought I don't suffer from carpal tunel.

You gotta take care of those wrists.

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    One of my friends was playing using screwed up technique. He got a kind of juvenile CTS that hurt his arm before the wrist but did not extend into his hand. He wears a brace now, and he plays great and his technique has improved because of the brace. I don't know how old you are or the extent of your CTS, but I'm sure it will work out somehow. I'm guessing that you're under 60 years old, so it is probably possible to make a full recovery.

You'll be fine, just do what the doctor says.

7. Im 14, It started in my arm kinda ignored it and then got really bad in my wrist and remembered both my parents had carpal tunnel so I told my mom and she took me to the doctor and sure enough

8. Carpool Tunnel Syndrome is a common condition that aflicts many Vancouverites residing in the southern suburbs and commuting to Vancouver for work. The cure - move north of the tunnel.

:D :D

:rolleyes:

(Inside joke... Smash and other Vancouverites will appreciate this.)

9. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I have it too and had my first severe flare up about a year ago. I played sparingly for a couple of months until the inflamattion went away. I then sold off my 5's and went back to 4's with jazz style necks (1.5" at the nut), switched to lighter string gauges and began wearing my bass up "high". Am I cured? No. But, I'm a h*ll of a lot better than I was.

You really should take a little time off until the pain subsides. A month or two isn't going to hinder your playing too badly.

10. I'm just going through tests right now about possible arthritis in both wrists. Seems I was born with every muscle and bone in my hands loose.

19 years old... YAY!

I use a brace at work but not playing bass. I think it depends on if it hurts or not (if it hurts after you play, say two hours after... that counts on it hurting).

take it easy

11. I got it as well. All better now though. Make sure your strap is set so that you bass doesn't move an inch if you stand up or sit down, just a better playing possition other then playing low, etc.