1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my wrist hurts--is it because of my bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Every gig I play it seems like my wrist is starting to hurt more and more--sometimes my whole arm starts to feel it after a while too. I never feel any pain any other time, so I am wondering if its my bass. I did get a stinger way back in high school, and its the same feeling, but again, I only get that pain in my arm at gigs.

One thing I have considered is my bass. as far as the top contour goes, its similar to a ric, where there is no forearm contour, and it is bound, so it is like a 90 degree angle that I rest my forearm on, which be something. I try not to rest my arm on the bass, but then thats where my whole arm starts to hurt...

is it my technique? my bass? my inability to accept pain?

2. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    How low/high do you let your bass ride? If it's real low that could be a problem. What style of music do you play? Fingers or a pick? Slap? How long have you been playing?

Need more info :)

3. Or less info:eyebrow:

4. I keep my bass at an average height, near my waist.
    the band is a classic rock cover band and I play fingerstyle and I have been playing for 8 years

It's not my fretting hand that is giving me problems--its my plucking hand.

5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I would suggest working on a right hand position that allows you to keep your wrist as straight as possible. It sounds like you have a bend in the wrist. Changing your wrist/hand position is going to feel weird but if you continue to play with a wrist at a sharp angle it could lead to problems down the road. My wrist is quite straight now and comfortable but i the beginning I had some difficulty with articulation. I also play as lightly as possible rather than dig in and play hard.

6. +1

Keep the wrist as straight a possible, Use your shoulder to move up and down the strings. Check out ask a pro. Todd Johnsons technique

7. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    I wear a PUSH brace on my fretting hand, and it helps a LOT.

Proper technique is also important. I'm missing a bone in my wrist thats keep the wrist from popping out of joint.