1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Yamaha SBVs! (pics inside!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NachoFury, Apr 15, 2009.

1. NachoFury

NachoFury

May 28, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    I've been looking for a (out of production) Yamaha SBV for a few years now, and just this past October, I finally got my blue one! Then, just a few weeks ago, I saw a red one, and decided to get it as a backup, and put a set of SPB-3 Quarter Pounders in the blue one! Here they are together!
    Pic1.
    As you can see, the red came with the original UFO knobs, while the blue did not, and I had to make do, so I bought some standard ones.
    000_0193.
    Just look at those beautiful metal flake finishes!
    000_0192.

Those crazy headstocks!
    000_0194.

Also, as a bonus, here's how I recieved the blue one:
    YamahaSBV500.
    And what it looks like now
    000_0201.

They both originally had really yellowed-white pickguards, but I had the black ones made at pickguardian, excellent work over there!

Finally, (since sound and looks are subjective), to me, they both sound as great as they look!

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I dont know if I should shield my eyes, or look for one on eBay.

3. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I want an SBV sooo baaaad. I haven't been able to find one in the states though. I'm planning a return to Japan later this year though, so I will probably just wait and pick one up in country :hyper:

4. I really miss my banana yellow one. Only problem with it was, the finish seemed to be very easy to scratch. Do you have that problem?

Probably the most comfortable bass in the world.

5. Congrats on the find!
    I too have been looking for one of those for a while.

6. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I've seen a couple pop up the last year or so.
    I've got an SGV800 in blue flake

7. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    those things are pretty cool lookin!

9. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    that's nice man, those look pretty cool

10. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I had the blue Jazz version. It was such a great bass, I'm sorry I ever sold it. Stupidest thing I ever did.

11. NachoFury

NachoFury

May 28, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Thanks for all the compliments! They really are great basses. I found both of mine in the states and had shipped to me, really great people out there, since I'm in Canada.

I haven't scratched either since I got them, but both have come to me with a couple scratches in the finish. Mostly dings, I'd say.

I tried finding some proper knobs, but the ones on this are really weird. Here's a link to a close up of them from someone's flickr. I wish I knew how to get them outside of ordering a whole new pot assembly from Yamaha (75$ each! Yikes!) But, I like the look of the current knobs, so I'm happy.

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    New pick guard = winner!