Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Yammy is becoming noisey - please help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by themajorrager, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Hi Guys,

ive just come back from an 8 week holiday overseas. naturally the first thing i do when i get back is dust my babies off and plug them in.
    unfortunately my Yamaha TRB4II seems to be making a high frequency hiss now. i say now cause im 90% sure it didnt do that before i left.
    now i am a logical kind of guy so i have eliminated the possibilty that the noise is coming from any other source (by playing my other bass through the same setup and not having the same prob). i also tried changing the battery but no luck...
    so please guys, help me, what can it be????
    is this unuasual for an active bass to develop a hiss or become more noisey over time?:confused:
    please help.
    thanks,
    chris

2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Hi Chris,
    Sometimes cheap electronics can play havoc for a number of reasons:cheap opamps,cheap passive components,flimsy PCB,etc.
    Before anything else:try another cable between your Yamaha and the amp!
    If the noise is still present...here we go:
    Start by cleaning your pots' guts with a dedicated pot cleaner (DON'T use WD40!....do a search in this forum about the theme and eventually ask your local electronics' store about a good,non-agressive,lubricating pot cleaner).
    Did the hiss dissapeared?
    If not,move to the next step:look carefully at the onboard preamp PCB:does it look like some soldered points had cracked or exfoliated off the PCB?If yes,talk to a friend who has good soldering skills and remedy the eventual damages or cold solders.
    Next step:identify the opamp/s (the little 8-leg chips) on the PCB,buy some new from your closest part dealer (again,don't panic...in most cases,suck an opamp should cost a buck or so) and replace it/them.
    Do you have a schematic of your Yammie onboard preamp?
    Usually,the schemos can be found in the User Manuals (a .pdf file or whatever).Having the schemo on sight,we could talk about your problem alot easier.
    HTH!
    Regards,

3. hey man, thanks for the detailed response. luckily the noise has dissapeared. maybe it was just from lack of use while i was away.:confused:
    anyway thanks for your help but luckily i dont need it:hyper:

4. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Hey,
    Glad to hear your problem dissapeared!
    I'd recomend a pot clean though...if the pots were the (most probable) cause of those undesired noises,it's very likely that the symptom should appear again (on stage,maybe?:eyebrow: ).Climatic and humidity changes could easily make some pots scratchy or noisy.A good pot cleaner/lubricant should save you from future problems.
    Regards,

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    You spelled Miami wrong...and I thought it was kind of a noisy town myself.

6. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Sorry but I don't have any idea what you're talking about.
    Please rip a little of your time and explain to some non-US residents what's this about.
    Thanks,

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Sorry to derail thread...just a lil good morning humor. The title of the thread...was My Yahmmy....sounded like Miami...as in Miami, Florida. Big city in the U.S.:D

8. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    haha very funny......
    why is miami noisy? ive been there once but i dont remember it being much busier than anywhere else. or did you just say that so the joke would work :D

9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Man o man....

Sorry everyone....never been there...just trying to make the joke work....failed....

Back to your regularly scheduled conversation:(

10. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    No need to applologise,buddy,we got it!:smug:
    I didn't think at all at the phonetics ("My Yammy/Miami") but to another,rather unknown,Miami fact.Ya know,like "SmelL.A" as related to Los Angeles.I just thought that,due to climatic conditions (hot and moisty),in Miami one could find alot more pots affected by the environment.
    Whatever...the joke is great,I'll "sell" it today to my bandmates at the rehearsal!;)
    Regards,

11. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

wow....I never thought of it that way. Guess we all think differantly.
    :D

12. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Yep...and I was too narrow-minded (read:concentrated) on the potentiometer issue,to get it from the first attempt...:bag: