1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Year Long Stint with Just PA's is coming to an end... Need Help again...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MWBass, Jun 24, 2007.

1. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    Belford, NJ
    How's it goin everyone...

Well, it's been a while. A few months back, I was on a speaker search again, tryin to get myself a killer rig that was smaller then the monster I used to have... (2 Accu Whappo Jr.'s, Millennia STT-1, QSC 3402, Etc.)

That search ended in me finally deciding that I had no need for a cabinet at the time. I have been doing nothing but solo gigs for the last 14 months. So, I have been using nothing but PA's and Monitor support direct. Just me, my Chris Stambaugh Custom, My Boss RC-50 Looper, and the Sound Board of choice...

Well, It looks like a band is forming now, so I am gonna need some backline...

The situation most likely will end up bass, drums, one guitar, vocals... But the music is going to be strongly centered around bass and percussion... I don't want to say like Primus... but it will be in the same vein of having a lot of bass led driving lines, and a lot of intricate tap lines... I think you know the drill...

So, I am looking for a cabinet... that is tight... really tight... really articulate. I no longer care about so called "flatness" or smoothness, or balance... I just want it to sound good, but be super tight, and full range obviously... I play a lot of intricate stuff... and the only think I hate more then anything is when I nail a song live and nobody could make it out because it was boomy sloppy, muddy, etc...

So, there's where I am at...
    Just to give you a prelim, I have played a through a lot of different equipment, So, far, I found that tightness and clarity in a pair of EA CXL-112';s, but I want some other opinions... For historical viewpoints, my favorites have been Accugroove, EA, Bergantino, Eden... but I am still open to other siggestions like good cabs from Epifani, Acme, Etc...

Heck, since I have been playing through PA's for so long, I even contemplated getting a single QSC HPR-153i and using it full range and calling it a day...

as you can see, weight doesn't bother me...

Ok, well, let me know...

To those who I haven't spoken in a while... what's up...

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    well having 2 el whappos at one time its hard to stack up a cabinet that you will like to those man! If i could reccomend one cab that really sings in the upper register though...Phil Jones Cabinets...they are sick.

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey there MW!
    The Berg IP153 is the shiznit! My review's around here somewhere.:) Effortlessly articulate is a phrase you will read and I'm a fan and owner of EA CXL112s. Your Glock pre and lookout!

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Hi.

In keeping with your mention of PA cabs, I thought I'd mention that I've gone that route at times - and just to make valid comparisions with bass cab products if nothing else. And I recently purchased a cheapie PA cab that for its weight class really excels at doing rich and punchy yet articulate bass with enough transparency to get the best out of a modeling (V-Bass setup), as well as for just presenting the full spectrum a bass is capable of. I think with a woofer upgrade these cabs can likely match or beat Accugrooves of similar speaker sizes, by my standards and for my needs at least.

You might want to check this thread out: Boutique 3-way 115 and 215 on a budget

5. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Although I have yet to try one, I have heard the new Bergantino NV610 referred to on more than one occasion as being a "tight" sounding cabinet.

Might want to see what those are all about. I know I will be checking one out soon.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'll go with greenboy on this one and tell you to check some decent size 3-way PA cabs using a bass woofer with enough room to work.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Hey Marc,

Not having heard the QSC HPR153i triamped speaker but having heard good things about the cab and QSC cabs in general, my inclination would be to find out whether the xmax of the woofer is long enough to do bass guitar duty at high SPL. I suspect it will do the job well in that respect, and if you want accuracy of representation.

So, for what it's worth, It looks like an intelligently designed sytem with no signs of hyped specs (I read the manual as well), and a good amount of power going to each course, with well-chosen crossover points and transducers.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Another option, and one I've seriously considered, is to build or commission a Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 15. A lot of bang for the size and weight, and extended response that should respond well to any EQing.

9. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    Belford, NJ
    Hey now...

Well, I have definetly heard similar about the NV-610... but I am definetly in need of some output above 5k... I like my tweeters...hehe...

As for that Berg IP153... mmmm...definetly looks intriguing... I am going to assume though that it will be approximately 2500 like the other big box IP's... If i had 2500 dollars right now, I would probably just buy it... I played the IP112 stack... it was nice... then played the IP310 and it blew my mind... through an AMpeg SVP-CL Preamp... it was probably the best tine I have ever heard... followed by the CXL-112 Stack from EA... but I dunno how I am going to get 2500 bucks... well, I could sell my iAMP800 for about 800 beans... still leaves me about 1700 short hehe....

And greenboy...

I do own the plans for the Omni 15... and it sounds like a great cab... I just don't know if I have the time to build a cab... and the thing that worries me more is that if it went getting an immediate backup... is well... almost impossible... but when i was thinking about the Omni 15... I was wanting to do a custom iteration....

Here's the email that I sent to Bill...
    I bought some plans from you a few months back, and I am now in need of a cabinet do to my current situation.

I had a question though. I basically bought the plans fully planning on building a custom version of the Omni 15. I am a huge fan of narrower/ more vertical cabinets... I had regular cabs... always prefered 2 210's stacked in a vertical array, most of the time I would have the cabs bolted together and would have casters and a tilt handle for the back, just easier for me to manipulate...

So, the reason I am asking this question is that I saw in a thread on TB that some were intersted in building a narrower taller version of the Omni 15. This is exactly what I had in mind. I saw that you posted that the frequency response would change, and the plans were very specific, which they are, you did a killer job laying it out. However, the only way that I really would want the Omni is if it was taller and narrower. Namely, I want to keep the cabinet 17" deep but I want it to be only 20" wide, or 19" from inner edge to inner edge. Now, I am not an engineer, but I was a math teahcer for 3 years, so I can get some of this down. I know how to keep the internal volume the same with the new shape, but my question is about the bass horn.

I know that this won't be perfect, and it takes a long time to organize this to best output, but I was wondering if there was a way to get decently close. so, the horn front face on the omni 15 is approximately 10.5 inches by 25.5 inches, and the slot in the back is 2 inches up and 1 13/16 open.

Now may plan is to have the horn be 19" wide, but I need an approximate for the hieght, and then the hieght of the slot in the back and the actual width of the back slot.

As I said, I know this will effect the frequency response, but It is the only way that I will do the cabinet, since my goal this time around is to have a narrower taller cab. So, i was curious if you could just give me a basic idea of what these measurements need, to be, or what proportions that they need to be in. I know it's propobably really tough, but even if you can tell me how to approach it mathematically, i could figure it out for myself. I just want to get started on this project and get myself a killer cab to start giggin with...

I hope you can help.

Thanks Bill.

Marc

Unfortunately I got refered to the message board... wasn';t in the mood to sign up and register...

Regardless though, no easy backup, kind of freaks me aout a bit....

Right now, I'm still thinkin EA CXL-112 stack, The New Berg IP153 sounds super enticing... My standard Accu Whap Jr.... Or even an Acme B-2 stack with a jet engine in front may be solid... Even the Eden XST210 stack I used to have may fit the bill.... choicessss.......grrrrrrrrrr

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Ah, well. In several threads I too asked if it were realistic to do a taller, narrower Omni design, and for the same reasons.

Anyway, it's good to meet another who is aware of the benefits of such designs.

11. Phil Jones and those Paraná speakers Dont play around man.

12. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    Belford, NJ
    You know, its funny...

People keep mentioning Phil Jones... and I did own the 8T/16B combo for a short time... and I stated back then... that the PJB cabinets were the quickest sounding, clearest, most articulat cabinets that I ever used... The top was just wierd without the tweeter, or it could have been all those high frequencies not being centralized... but that I could have gotten used to...

The only two things I had against PJB are that they are heavy... even for me... and i don't mind weight... and they seemed to lack force... great range very clear good depth, but didn't have force away from the cab... for any high end two channel stereo guys... it was like compairing JMLab Utopias to Wilson Watt Puppies...

It sucks, because if two briefcase extension cabs put out enough sound to cover me and a band setting, i'd be signed up... but I dunno...

13. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    Belford, NJ
    I'd actually like to hear more from anyone who may have used PA spaekers as there bass backline... As I said, I have been playing direct into the house boards for 14 months...

About 50 Percent of them were attrocious, 40 percent were pretty good, and ten percent were close to the best I have heard myself sound on stage...

Now, I know guys like anthony Jackson have used 5 digit Meyer sound rigs and those new JBL V series look bad ass, but I can barely pay my bills, I'm looking to stay in the 1-1.5K range...

I would die to have a Berg IP153... i'm sure I would be in heaven... but I just can't really pull it off, or find a means to just yet... Unless BErgantino wants to sponser a suffering bassist... any takers...Jim... no... didn't think so...haha...

Anyways...

It's tough. I would love to play cabs from a company that I truly appreciate the way they have treated me... I have said it before and will say it again... whether or not they juice numbers or test in super isolated environments... The accugroove cabs have always sounded great to me... and MArk Wright is the nicest human being I have ever talked to...

On the other hand, I do have a manufacturer that I cannot stand, even though he makes great equipment... For purposes He shall remain namless... but KJung knows who I;m talking about...

Anyways.. any PA cab users... Tom B. I know you must have done this on occasion...

14. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    Belford, NJ
  15. brisonic

brisonic

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    I am fairly happy with my sound but need more volume, for me I am looking at either the 3 way carvin or an omni 15. The Omni looks great. I have played bass in the past with a pair of peavey SP2s and the sound was fab.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021