1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My youtube links or help ID some old gear or how we used to do it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pedro, Sep 7, 2008.

1. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I admitt I'm hooked on these old clips on youtube. Certainly I agree that there are a lot of bad ones but when you do find a classic its so much fun. A lot of times when I view these old clips I don't recognize the gear being used. Generally this is the case when I'm viewing a non-USA performance. Anyway, I thought this would be a fun way to view some old gear (basses/guitars/amps) in action and hear some classic rock/pop/r&b/soul stuff from my era.

First up Steve Marriott and the Small Faces. I only had the pleasure of seeing Marriott once live with Humble Pie. They opened for ELP and by the time they were done I probably wouldn't have cared if ELP played a single note. What can I say, when I think of the classic British rock voice, IMO it starts and ends with Marriott (and Terry Reid). So many came after including Paul Rogers, Plant, etc. that all tred to cop that style but Marriott was the proto-type. And boy what a performer he was. You simply could NOT take your eyes off him. Anyway, here's a nice clip of the Faces on German TV playing live. Some brief glimpses of some amps I don't recognize - I'm guessing they were German made. If any of my UK/European brothers can help ID some of this stuff it that would be great.

2. Nice post, I enjoyed those links. Otis Redding would be insane to hear and see live. And thanks for introducing me to Steve Winwood, amazing pipes on that guy.

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm glad you enjoyed the clips. As I said, if I had been Mick Jagger and the Stones and heard Otis do 'Satisfaction' I would have been running for cover. I once heard doc540 say that Otis was a man among boys at Monterey and I think that describes it pretty well.

As for Winwood he was 2-3 yrs younger than you are in those clips. Just a natural prodigy.

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Here's a nice clip of the Godfather of Soul during the Vox era.