Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Zon is back!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassdr, May 4, 2002.

1. I posted a thread a couple of months ago about fretless redos and here is the follow-up.

I sent my Sonus 5 back to Joe and company in California to have them do a fretless conversion. He charged $450 and it took longer than he had said but oh the results!

First, I asked him to use darker more subtle lines than the usual lined fretboard, something to guide me but look fretless. They are perfect, subtle, but a nice guide for the player.

Next, he put a satin finish on the neck, a really nice touch and so smooth to play it's hard to describe. Like greased graphite.

The tone is perfect. A nice swell/mwah and with the bridge pickup soloed and an NE-1 in the signal chain it is THE fretless sound I have been looking/listening for. Just for reference mine is a J/J with Bartolinis and 2-band EQ.

If any of you are considering a fretless redo on your ZON, go for it. It may take 6-8 weeks but Joe will send you back the bass of your dreams. Oh, and he also sent it back to me in a brand new Zon gigbag (mine was pretty sad).

Thanks Joe!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and? where's the pics? hmm?

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Doc, I'm there with ya!! He did some stuff on my electronics, and replaced my hardware (I just dig black hardware, what can I say? :D). Joe also did the satin finish, and greased graphite is about right!!!! Mine was already a fretless (Sonus Special 5, to be precise), but he did relevel the board for me while it was there. He's a truly great guy that makes my favorite sounding fretless basses.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, Gard, how much is it to have the satin finish put on?

5. Here's a pic of the bad boy.

Took it to rehearsal at church today, blew the bandmates away.

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Jeff & Josh, I'll give Joe a shout on Monday, hopefully I'll get back to you quickly with that information. Of course, you could always call him yourself, he's very helpful and always seems happy to hear from people that own his work! :)

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bassdr, That is a SWEET Zon!

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    S'ok Josh, :D To answer your question, it feels INCREDIBLE! I'll never go back to non satin-finish necks now...no stickiness when you're zoomin' 'round the fingerboard.

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Do you ever have to adjust zon truss rods or are they perfect all the time?

10. embellisher

Zons do not have truss rods, or at least mine and all the others that I have played don't.

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    So that would make it quite hard to adjust them then. Is this because of the graphite neck? If so are modulus basses the same.

12. I think newer Moduli have truss rods, if I'm not mistaken. However, the truss rod is mainly there so the player can adjust the relief of the neck to his/her preference.

Graphite/composite necks don't seem to undergo any noticeable changes due to climate as wood necks do, so truss rods aren't an absolute necessity. I wish Zon would start putting them in so relief could be adjusted, but it just so happens that my Zon has the exact amount of relief I like.

Maybe someone else can shed a little more light on this one.

13. embellisher

A well manufactured composite neck never needs adjusting. I wish that my fretless was adjustable, because I would prefer little or no relief, but it has never moved, and never will, unless someone drops a nuke on it.