Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Zon Is Really Working For Me, So...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Aug 4, 2003.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    ...I got another.

This is a 1993 Legacy Elite. As you can see, all black with gold hardware. It's in remarkable shape for a ten year old bass. Hardly any fret wear and the finish is piano black glossy all the way.

Interesting neck profile when compared to my Legacy standard. This one is thin and more rounded off. The Schaller tuners on this one are very heavy duty and the bridge, while still made by Wilkenson, has the sides on it which makes it more substantial, I'd guess. And this one is considerably lighter than the Standard, too.

The preamp is, based on early messing around with it, quite, well, great. Sounds pretty much like the other one, which is one of my favorite pre's.

I'll gig this one on Saturday and post detailed comments. I'll try to get some better pics, too.

In the meantime, I'm being thankful for more good luck. Got this one from a pawn shop after a failed EBay auction. Price was CHEAP! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    crap, man...i was following that one. the wifey wouldn't give up the funds for me, though. if you ever decide to sell it :D

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    whee! that's great, man. congrats on another fine instrument.

how about some sound samples to compare the 2 zons? that's be cool

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks. Soundz are a distinct possibility, my good man! :cool:

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You got dibs...but this one is looking promising and I've developed a real fondess for the Zon sound! ;)

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, i'm looking at the 800 zon sonus on ebay as we speak. i dunno, though...i counted 22 frets...that may be a hit against it. i dunno, we'll see. i really want to get a hold of a 5 or 6 string legacy. i LOVE my sonus special 5er.

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You are a bass buying machine man!

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I know. Ain't it sad?:( :cool:

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good luck, man. Go for it!

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Excellent score, bb.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanx. Yeah, I'm really looking forward to using it for 4 sets Saturday night...

12. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Nice bass...

I've got two sonus's also and now am drooling over legacy's for the future, how would you compare a sonus vs legacy?

I've heard they are warmer sounding...

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've never owned a Sonus but the ones I've played have a brighter more "Jazz" bass vibe to them when compared to the Legacy. I'm sure one of the Zonites here can give you a better comparison.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi Boogie

I still gig with the jack every week:) , I will be moving into the arena of the high level instruments with a Warwick infinity ltd 2000 on the way. Hope all is going well for you, keep rockin:bassist:

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, man! Glad that Jackbass is still treating you right! The Warwick sounds cool. All the best. :D

16. Boogieman, you are starting to get me jealous!

That's one fine looking sixer.

Good luck with her.

Mike ;)

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

IME, it depends on the pickup configuration quite a bit.

My Sonus Custom has the Legacy style electronics, and it sounds a lot like a Legacy, to me.

The Sonus models with 2 J pickups sound a lot like a Jazz bass, but a little more 'modern' and versatile.

The Specials are their own beast. Kinda like a Warwick Thumb on steriods, but different too, in a good way.

Never had the pleasure of playing a 5/2 or a Sonus Studio.

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    bump to the top so that boogie remembers to post a review ;)

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanx! The review is going to be delayed a bit, however. I played it at a rehearsal Wednesday but am sending it back to Joe Zon to have some minor repairs done. The pots need to be replaced and there's a couple of small nicks on the neck that bug me and are going to be fixed. I have to wait and get a hard case for it, too, then ship it to Joe for repair. So it'll probably be a month or so until it makes it out on a gig with me. :bawl: Oh, well. Should be very sweet when I do get it "ready to rock" to my satisfaction. Initial impressions are VERY promising. :cool: I'll revive this thread when the Elite is reborn!

20. I wish pawnshops around HERE had zons in them!