My Zon Is Really Working For Me, So...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Aug 4, 2003.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA

word...

right on, boogie...in the meantime, i'm looking for a legacy elite 5er...i really gotta get one :D

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    UPDATE

Just got the bass back from Joe and it truly is reborn. Won't gig with it for a while since I'm taking a few weeks off (emergent gigs, nothwithstanding) but I can't wait. Man, this is one sweet bass! Joe and company replaced the pots and fixed all the nicks and a few other minor things. Stay tuned...

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    nice...can't wait to see how it does in the old gig environment...

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Really sweet!;) My envy meter went way up. :eek:

I guess I need to start visiting more pawn shops. I'd just love to find a Custom 5. But where I live you mostly find the real crappy stuff and they want an arm, leg and your first born.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    SW, OK
    --Bump--

BoogieDude,

Still waiting to gig that ZLeg6?

Whaaasssup?

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Friday night, man! I'll post on Saturday. :D

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    FULL-BLOWN GIG REPORT (For those patient enough to wade through it!:D )

VENUE: Goody's Tavern in San Clemente. Medium-sized, open bar with pool table at the back of the room, a hardwood dance floor by the front where the band sets up (no stage), bar on the side of the room and tables throughout. High ceilings. This used to be a good room when they had a dividing wall between the bar and the band area. They've knocked the wall down so now it's just a big ol' open area where the sound just kind of swirls around.

BAND: Porterhouse Pug, a blues/rock trio with lotsa SRV, Credence, ZZTop. Mostly classic rock and blues but we backed an Elvis impersonator in the last two sets so quite a bit of rockabilly there.

RIG: Epifani T212 sitting up on end on a Gramma pad driven by the Walter Woods Ultra. The WWU was on a thick piece of foam to isolate it from the cab.

THE BASS AND HOW IT PERFORMED:

* SOUND

Summary up-front would consist of one word--- "balanced." While perhaps not quite as punchy as the Legacy Standard sixer I own, this bass has much of the same sonic personality. That is, it's got a solid, fat low-end without being over-emphasized and all the notes as you go up the neck and up the strings are at the same volume level. This is actually sorta rare IME with extended range basses as the high strings can "leap out." As has been my experience with this Elite and the Standard I own, the bass has tremendous clarity with maybe a touch less upper-register "boink" when compared to my Modulus Quantum sixer, for instance. In fact, I'd say this bass sounds closest to my Modulus but has an overall richer, warmer character. Slap tone is exceptional, among the best I've experienced. Fingerstyle is, of course, excellent and the sustain is world-class.

* PLAYABILITY

Very fast, thin profile neck that wears well over a 4 hour gig. The bass is also balanced well and hangs on a strap comfortably. No fatigue issues. In all, a joy to play all evening.

* COMPARISONS WITH MY OTHER FRETTED SIXERS

1. Ken Smith BSR6 GN

The Zon has more body in its sound and a faster neck. But it doesn't nail the sweetness of the Smith's top-end. The Smith also just barely nudges out the Zon on slap tone. The preamp in the Zon is WAY stronger than the Smith.

2. Modulus Quantum 6

Very close, actually. The Modulus has a touch more clarity but can't quite duplicate the thickness of the Zon's low-end. The Modulus is brighter and cuts through a bit better.

3. Zon Legacy Standard 6

The Standard is slightly more punchy and quite a bit heavier. Sound is pretty close but the bolt-on Standard is just a kick-drum/lock-in monster. The Elite is a bit more open sounding and has a smoother overall balance.

4. Hanewinckel Pro Draken 6

Haven't gigged this one yet so comparisons will have to wait, to be fair. Quite a different beast, however.

FINAL COMMENTS:

The B string on this 34" scale instrument is about as good as I've experienced and it bears repeating that it doesn't have an artificially large sound like some basses do. Just solid and rich but very articulate as to pitch and VERY usable in the context of the music. The B also doesn't overpower the other strings. The middle register on this bass (where most of the money is made ;) ) is clean as a whistle and the top-end is bright without being the least bit harsh.

However, the sound of this instrument will not be to everyone's liking. It's not what I'd call "warm" and it doesn't have the same character to the overtones of a great wood-neck bass like a Smith, Fodera or MTD. I also had to struggle a bit to make it sound non-modern because that's really its character and strength. Probably not a great choice for a retro musician who favors that old-school thump.

All things considered, this is certainly one of the best six string basses I've owned/played. I plan to keep it a while and might actually end up prefering it over the Legacy Standard although, at this time, I'm keeping both! :cool:

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    SW, OK
    Thanks Boogie for the great review!

I'm considering a Legacy Elite 5, but maybe an F-Bass BN5 first.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You're welcome! Zons sure are good at what they do. Best of luck with what you decide to get.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I'm thinking that solid maple body is largely responsible for the insane punch of the Standard because, as you point out, the electronics are pretty much the same. Of course, the Elite is a set-neck and the Standard is bolt-on. In any case, they're both very fine basses!

11. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    BB, do you think that the Epi 212 contributed to this? Do you think a less modern sounding cab would have given you a less modern tone?

The reason I ask is that my Epi310 is very modern sounding compared to my Aggie410 or my pair of Bergantino 112's.

I played a Zon Custom 6er at BassNW last year that had been re-strung with nickel strings and it was very warm and full sounding. Very different than any of the other Zons I had played before. I kick myself for not snagging that bass, to this day, but there was a Fodera 6 in the works at the time.

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Oh, no question, Jerry! The cab and also the Woods contributed greatly to the sound. But since that's my sound, that's the way I have to evaluate my basses.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that I have this bass strung with nickels. Zon nickels, to be exact.

13. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks Boogiebass:)

I really wanted to love the Zon's that I played in the past but they all sounded so thin and tinny. I really attribute that to the strings and the setup that the dealer had going. The 6er that was at BNW just blew me away. Warm, thick but yet a sparkly punch and clarity that sounded just right. It really gave me mixed signals.

Well I'm glad to see that your pawnshop prize really worked out for you. I like hearing about good things happening to good people.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, bro!