Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by C.Veltman, Aug 28, 2000.

1. Hello again dear bassfriends !
    Below are a few scans of my new (very old) bass.
    I am very curious about when and where it was made...It has been repaired
    a few times during the years. But is not totaly refinished as can be seen in the scans.

There is only one sticker inside the bass and it says "repaired by Adolf Deichsel, Berlin 1913). Most likely the bass is much older, but how old ?

One luthier and collector believe the bass comes from either Tyrol or Bohemia.
    What do you think ?

Thanks in advance for any help !
    Kind regards,
    Christian V
    Stockholm http://home.swipnet.se/trubeat/oldbass/oldbasspage.htm

[Edited by C.Veltman on 08-28-2000 at 05:32 PM]

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't have much information to share, but that bass is very pretty - thanks for sharing it. :D

3. It looks as if the plate for the D string machine doesn't fit entirely on the side of the peg box. Of course, there's no way of knowing if it's the original machine. If you want to spend an hour, you can remove each string and machine and see what's behind each plate. Sometimes you can see where a hole existed and was later filled in. While you're at it, you can rub the peg end with hard wax where it fits into the peg box. This will give you smooth turning when you tune up. With old systems, some times the wood binds and then suddenly overturns. It happens all the time on my Kaakstein. Of course you only do one string at a time so you dont mess up the soundpost and bridge placement. GREAT looking instrument. Congratulations.
    Tyroleans have a unique neck block system which was in use only about 40 years, I think. I have to talk to my luthier. If I learn any more, I'll get back to you.

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
  5. Thanks for the link !
    The "shoulders" and button are rather simular
    but that bass seems to be totally refinished..sadly.

I have posted my initial question to some very knowlegable
    collectors/dealers.

One said:
    "Typical example of the finest production of Schoenbach,
    Bohemia ca 1850".

The other dealer believed it was made in Markneukirchen
    also the later part of the 1800´s.
    I will look a little further into this.

Kind regards,
    Christian V