1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Myrtle Top

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Simo98, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Hey guys,

My local timber yard has some myrtle in stock left over from an order (for flooring i believe)

I was wondering what the properties of myrtle are like for bass body tops, its 19mm board pre machined, and figured if it gives a good sound it would make a nice top on an ash or mahogony body.

Anyone have any experience with Myrtle in basses?

Thanks
    -Simon

2. its used very commonly these days. IMO works very similar to maple in my limited experience with it ( just making some small boxes/inlay stuff)

3. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Cool, i had heard of it being used instead of maple.

I think it would work best as a body top. i could potentially use 3 pieces laminated together to have a thick enough block to make a full body out of, but im not to sure about what effect it would have on a body it being made out of 3 laminated pieces, a negative one id assume.

4. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    went and picked it up today.

Its actually tasmanian myrtle, so a nice red colour

http://www.fbbcustom.com/woodstar/woods.html

Pretty heavy, feels nice, im planning to use it on top of an ash body, paint the back and sides of it black (the ash is also laminated, so this will cover that up) and then stick this piece ontop, just going to give it an oil and clear coat i think, should look nice.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass

Nice link I wish Mesquite was in there.....t

6. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    I think there is an error on a wood. On Manilkara Bidendata, we call it quinilla. Ive used this wood in my project and there is plenty of it here and not a single piece that Ive seen looks like the one on the pic. It is a red-brown wood but it doesnt look at all like lacewood or leopard wood.

Sorry for the threads hijack.

7. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Yeah, its quite a handy resource i found the other day.

Stumbled upon it by accident too :p

8. Hey Enrique, further to your hijack :) - did you choose the woods for your multiscale project? Youve got so many cool species to choose from!

9. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Taz Myrtle is very handsome wood......The Aussies make great use of it for fine furniture. It can be a tad unstable if it is not 6-8% moisture content. Not crazy unstable, just something to be aware of.

eleonn.....The pic is Taz Myrtle.

10. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Mike I have chose some of them. One is Manilkara Bedindata for stringers with a specie known down here as huayruro (think of blonde wenge) with some more colorfull wood. All that for the neck. For the body not sure yet but is 100% that the body core will be mahogany, a one piece mahogany core. For the top and back I still have to look around. About a year ago I saw a specie called diablo fuerte which is a white-yellow wood with red-orange stains... the thing sometimes looks like fire!! I wont be 100% sure about this until I get my department in january cause I dont want to mess around on the rented one Im living in for now.