Myself trying Teentown

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Dec 6, 2004.

1. You may call this blasfemy(that is a word in english, right?) or whatever, but this is my shot on Teentown. It's just the beginning because that's all I know. But I improvised a little solo for your pleasure :p :bag:

I'm eighteen years old - been playing bass for nearly three years. I've been into jaco since this summer or something.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    it sounds like you're doing it fine...I think, but it's really quiet and undefined.
  3. Thanks....
    And yeah, I totally agree with you.
    Lets blame it on me going direct into my crappy soundcard, eh? :p And the fact that it's 03.00 here in Norway right now, and I recorded this half an hour ago? :D

No really, my teacher also tells me to play with more "attitude"!
  4. I wish I were at that level after playing three years. :bawl:
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I love the MIDIs in the background. The solo you did is great, but as was stated earlier, undefined. Still, VERY nice work.
  6. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Yes, very nice work for 3 years under the belt. I need to conquer that song by this time next year.
  7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    I thought that was fantastic. There is a thread called "Bassists that make you want to quit". I want to quit because of you now!
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ill check it out when i get home, im at school at the moment.

I started learning Teen Town a little while back as well and stopped for unknown reasons. I should start again, it would advance my playing for me to learn it, im sure.
  9. Thank you, I'm honoured :)
  10. OK dude - better make that bedroom door a little wider - to get your newly inflated ego through it... :) because that was amazing for an 18-year-old - seriously good, the solo despite being a little 'undefined' still had a lot of style and your musical ideas are spot on - I could just about play Teen Town when I was 18 but I never had such a grasp on the harmony and stuff - use all the poistive vibes here to keep practicing until you're twice as good as you are now - well done and keep it up.

edit - I forgot to add that your 'feel' is great too - go get em dude...!
  11. Isn't it Jaco himself who said:
    "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."

Well, you can brag all you want, man, 'cause you back it up! Nice work!

I'm still labering on Donna Lee... Think I'm gonna quit too... :smug:
  12. fretbuzz85

Nov 1, 2004
    nice recording dude! you used guitar pro right?
    excellent playing, wish i could play like that. been playing bass for 4 months now, guitar for 3 years prior to bass

do you use 3 fingers for the fast solo part?
  13. Nice stuff. I've yet to even attempt to try that tune...kudos to you for jumping right in.... keep it up!
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats really good man.
  15. Thanks alot guys, your comments are really inspiring to me!
    I haven't bothered to learn the rest of Teen Town (even though I love that song), that's why I improvised that solo. And I really wasn't thinking about what scales I played, I just played what I thought sound good. I haven't come to that level yet, where I can play something and always know what I'm playing....

As for the recording, I'm going straight into the soundcard...
    And all this good feedback on my bass playing reminds me that I should actually get upstairs and practice some flute, as that is my main instrument and I'm having an exam tomorrow. Mozart here I come :)
    Thanks again for your time, I really appriciate it.
  16. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Fantastic tune. I was NOWHERE close to that level of skill and ability at 18 years old. At 38 . . .well . . . I'm not saying. I still have a ways to go. When I was 18 and shortly after heading to a jazz program we woud have called someone that could rip through Teentown a Monster but in a good way.
  17. Thanks man, and I'm not a monster yet but I'm working on it:)
    Does anyone know about some midi comp on Donna Lee? I wanna record that one too....