Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mysterious Jaco Video Clip - Portrait of Tracy

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by osciphex, Nov 18, 2002.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I downloaded a poorly labeled video clip, about 20 mb in size, where Jaco is seen warming up and then running through Portrait of Tracy. The whole thing looks like its in a studio or some kind of sound stage.

At first I thought the clip was from the Modern Electric Bass video, but his clothing doesn't seem to match the clothing on the cover of the video, nor does his bass (he's playing his 62 defretted jazz in this clip, but on the cover of that video he has a fretted jazz with a maple board..)

Anyone else seen this clip? Where's it from?

2. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    post it somewhere so I can download it. :)

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I think I've seen the same video clip. (If Jaco's wearing a white top.)

It's a excerpt from Weather Report's 1976 concert at the Montreux Jazz Festival. Jaco had only recently joined the group.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah I got that clip, posted it here on talkbass and got no replies :(

I don't know anything about it either unless what david says is true.

I think that they way he plays "Portrait of tracy" in that segment is pretty interesting, with all those crazy stops and what not.
    also whats REALLY impressive to me at least is when he's blazing through "okantole y trompa" at like 2 times the recorded speed.