1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mystery 15” speaker ID...it was free

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bruiser Stone, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    TB family: what is this 15”? I think the Eden is a recone job. It came out of a ratty Gilco cab I got free with the purchase of an old Peavey head a couple of years ago. It sounded rather nice even in the horror of a box in which it was loaded. I have a DIY project in mind, and I’m curious.
    Free stuff that works = fun.
    7BDE3E1C-EDA8-4419-83C1-E6E2E4330998.jpeg D16E2349-F923-4899-8386-E6177CCC77FC.jpeg B8AA19E0-D868-4B4B-9ACA-693E1B1CAB80.jpeg D91095D1-E84D-4797-89A3-23C60EAA36D7.jpeg 34435BB4-BAA0-45CA-B035-A247B7164D27.jpeg

2. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    1056 on the magnet = Fisher

Bruiser Stone likes this.
  3. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    After some cursory online searching, Fisher seems to be associated with home theater applications and not so much instrument speakers. Is that your understanding? Do you have a resource to reference? Thx!

4. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    Pretty much. They were big on home stereo stuff in the '60s, probably before and after.

I found Fisher 12" speakers in some Airline and Sears (not Silvertone) combos from the '60s. For some reason I remembered Fisher's manufacturer's code number from the following link at Weber Speakers:

More Speaker Manufacturer Codes

I'd guess your speaker is a Fisher that was re-coned with non-Fisher parts.

5. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
  6. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Very nice of you to follow up. This is helpful.

My idea is one day to take on a DIY (or with some outside assistance) practice/recording tube combo amp
    project. From what little I heard of it with an old Peavey SS head, it sounded rather nice.

El Güero likes this.
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I do not recall ever seeing a Fisher speaker with that sheet metal. You can't always go by those EIA numbers, often (especially back then) a speaker will be assembled from components by different manufacturers and maybe under contract to an amp/cabinet manufacturer. Looking at the sheet metal, it could have been any number of driver manufacturers that used this tooling. I remember companies like Oaktron, Utah, Quam, as well as Eminence using the tooling years ago. Stuffing parts into the this sheet metal will work (as long as they fit with enough clearance) but will have wildly different TS parameters than what the original part would have. IME, when a recone shop gets stuck with a bunch of obsolete or surplus parts, this is the sort of thing you start seeing.

8. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I appreciate your input. So basically, it could be a wild west hodgepodge of borrowed parts even in its initial retail application? I don’t want to invest too much time into an unknown, but as I am out nothing other than where my curiosity carries me, I hate to dispose/sell it without some idea of its potential usefulness.

9. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Oddly enough i have something similar (reconed 60's but big alnico magnet and a 2" VC with a heavy ribbed cone) in a 1x15 Peavey combo (which has an EQ) and it sounds fine for low volume practice...the EQ helps and i use a compressor as well with it so it doesnt get hit with large peaks....cool sound actually.

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Originally it was designed to a spec, but most driver manufacturers bought most of the component parts and assembled in-house for their customers. There are companies that specialize in voice coils, spiders, cones & surrounds, stamped baskets, die cast baskets, ferrite magnet rings, motor steel, and neo magnets.

Your example is somebody putting parts in that were never intended to be used as part of the original spec, so you have no idea how it will work or what it's TS parameters might be without analysis.

11. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I understand. Thank you for the explanation.

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    It may work fine in a <100 watts application where the box size and porting is average and the expectations are not very high.

13. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    If I DIY it, the expectations will be minimal. :D

agedhorse likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021