1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mystery 60's bass - anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cdef, Jul 27, 2007.

1. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Does anybody have a clue what bass the gent in the pic below is playing? It's likely to be from the early 1960's. I'm usually pretty adept at ID'ing old stuff myself, but this has had me stumped for years, so I'm calling on the collective TB expertise.

[​IMG]

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    My guess: Japanese, from one of those factories which churned out a variety of brand names for different importers. I know I've seen a "Kent" that looked just like that, but Kent was one of those generic importer brand names.

Very cool looking photo BTW.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Maybe Kay, or Tedecio?

4. JanSpeeltBas

JanSpeeltBas

Jul 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    Could be US made Alamo, their Titan bass came with a variety of headstocks, some squarish like this one. Have seen early Barclay basses (US made, probably by Harmony - later stuff is japanese) with similar headstocks, though not exactly like this one.
    Most 60s japanese basses have 4-in line headstocks.

5. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Whoa, I believe you may be on the right track there. The bass has significant similarities with this Alamo guitar (general body shape, the cut of the pickguard, the large rectangular plate on the headstock). Thanks for the suggestions!

6. Ukko

Ukko

May 28, 2007
    It's an Alamo Titan bass. The earlier versions had that headstock, the later ones were 4 inline. This one's from about 1963-65. Hollow core plywood construction. Their amps were cheap but useable, their guitars and basses were really bottom of the barrel.

7. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I've seen basses similar to that with the Kay name.

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I was going to guess Magnatone or Alamo.

I think Magnatone had a bass, and definitly a guitar with a very similar body.

Both Alamo and Magnatone were amp manufactures that had instument lines. The instruments may have been built by the same manufacturer.

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Electro made by Rickenbacker 1960-63
    G

10. JanSpeeltBas

JanSpeeltBas

Jul 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    Are there basses made under the Electro (by Rickenbacker)-brand?
    Like to see 'm...

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I want it!

12. JanSpeeltBas

JanSpeeltBas

Jul 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    In Wright's Guitar Stories Vol.2 there's a story on Alamo, and right there on the first page there's your man...
    part of an "unknown early 60s R'n'B combo with alamo guitars and basses" holding the same bass as your pic.
    So: Alamo Titan, ca. '63

13. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Hey, I knew I could count on you guys to come up with the correct answer. Thanks a lot, all!

What was the scale? What might be the reason for the extended piece of neck between the nut and the headstock proper?

That "unknown early 60s R'n'B combo", BTW, seems to have been an outfit known as Al White and the Famed Hi-Liters, who cut some sides at Cosimo's studio in New Orleans.

14. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    hi y'all, i have attached a couple of pix of my super-ugly alamo titan. about the only original parts left on this bass are the body, pickup, pots, neck and neck screws, parts of the bridge, and the lower part of the pickguard.

if anyone out there has a pickguard for this beast, please contact me! regards, ron

Attached Files:

15. johnnyangel69

johnnyangel69

Dec 28, 2012
    Hello,
    I have an Alamo Titan bass with original pickguard. Some pics:
    IMG_4285-1_zps452575af.
    IMG_4287-1_zps584813fa.
    IMG_4301-1_zps29195d40.

16. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    The next question is - how long until Eastwood creates a new version of it. They seem to love producing old obscure guitars.

...and when they do remake this, none for me thank you. Wugh.

17. Tom Gallo

Tom Gallo Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Outside Boston
    Here are some more pictures

Attached Files:

paco facile likes this.