1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mystery amp from last night

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frank77, Oct 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. My band rehearses at a place where you can rent a studio by the hour and everything is provided (bass/guitar amps, drum kit minus cymbals, mics, mixing board and PA). In most rooms they have some (old, beaten up, but) very good gear: Ampeg B4R, some old GKs (700RB / 400RB - love these!), some new GKs (MB800 - insanely loud for its size), Orange, and an assortment of cabs (mostly 4x10s from Hartke, Eden, GK, Orange, and a weird 2 x 18" with no name).

We had to reschedule at the last minute and ended up getting a room we've never played in before because everything else was booked. The bass rig there was a SGH head through a Peavey 4x10. Sorry for the crappy phone pic in a poorly lit room, BTW.

The EQ had a smiley scoop when I got there, and the lows were burying everything. I disabled the EQ with the "defeat" switch - still nothing but mud. Found the magic "contour" knob, and followed the instructions ("pull for flat") to disable it - again, mud. I switched the EQ back on and boosted the last 3 bands and things got a bit better, but still pretty bad.

Not sure if this was the baked-in tone of the head, or the voicing of the cab, or the combination of both that gave this rig its underwhelming tone. Looking forward to go back to the Ampeg B4R in our usual room next week (even if it's my least favorite of the other amps available there).

Has anyone ever seen/played these amps before? I had never heard of them.

20171018_190418.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    From what little I can find on the world wide interwebs is it's built by a company by the name of SMARVO. There's very little out there about them and nothing on this amp in particular.

Frank77 likes this.
  3. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    I take that back, if you Google smarvo there's a lot, it's a Taiwanese company and they seem to have a all tube 300 watt bass amp which may be interesting to play with.

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Wayback machine search for that company's website shows them active from 2008 to 2011 with a full line of SS guitar and bass amp. Still trying to figure this out but looks like the company was based in eastern Canada based on various internet posts and the use of metric system.

BSH2 300
    300W rms into 4 ohm

• ¼” passive / active input jacks
    • Gain control
    • Shape control with pull flat boost
    • Compression function with ratio and push on / off control
    • Compression with ratio and push on / off controls
    • 7 band EQ with push on / off control
    • Headphone jack
    • External speaker jack
    • XLR balanced line out
    • 502W x 235H x 329D mm
    • 17.6 kg

Frank77 likes this.
  5. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    I had found this

SMARVO PRO AUDIO CORP.
    11F, No. 103, Sec. 2, Nanchang Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City 100, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
    Tel: 886-2-2362-2115 ‧2362-3057 / Fax: 886-2-2363-5885‧2363-9400
    E-mail: sales@smarvo.com.tw / http: //www.smarvo.com.tw

6. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    Maybe they sold out?

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm thinking SGH is a Canadian company that imported white label products from SMARVO.

jazzbass_5 and agedhorse like this.
  8. Hey! Don’t blame us for this. We have enough guilt over GBX!! :D

9. I had to look up GBX amps too, never heard of those before either.

About SGH: I think I'd like them better if they were branded as "SMARVO". It has a nice ring to it, kind of like "Blammo".

Nashrakh and Plastalmonus like this.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Are you trying to identify this so you can avoid in the future, or destroy all remaining units.

Nashrakh and Frank77 like this.
  11. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    hm_4108_hm_1158_2.

12. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Smarvo BS300 !

Smarvo_BS300.

My local wedding/event guitarist and bassist favorite brand !
    Tone ? .......... sorry.

Smarvo_BS2_150_Bass_Amp___Ampli_Bass.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Smarvo made that tube amp that Eden used to have. Not the first one...the second one.