1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mystery bass body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michael_atw, May 17, 2011.

1. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Background: I recently picked up a supposedly frankenstein bass on ebay and it arrived today. The seller described it as a 2008 Classic 70's bass neck (which it is) with a mystery body. He was told by the music store he purchased it from that it was a USA body with 70's neck. They came to this conclusion due to a Corona CA neckplate bolted to the bass. He stated he had never taken the neck off to verify this (lol, who wouldn't do that?) and believed it was a MIM. I assumed it was a MIM and it arrived today. It is indeed a MIM but I'm having small trouble IDing what type. He replaced the stock black pickguard (if it was really stock) with the present guard and replaced the bridge with a Badass II (which isn't in the picture)

100_8894.

100_8896.

100_8897.

Here's my findings so far:

-MIM body due to MIM "barcode" sticker in the neck pup pocket and the round route hole by the location of the thumbrest that is found on MIMs
    -2008 pots (maybe this body IS stock to the neck?)
    -thumbrest likely is an add-on
    -pickguard originally had middle screw as stock
    -finish and pickups make it definitely NOT a standard - I was guessing either Classic 60's or 70's. The pickups have a numbered plastic bottom with black/white wiring (not cloth). -The wood I don't believe is Alder? The grain reminds me of another bass I owned at some point...

Can you ID this bass body? I tried to do research on the pickups and finish and found the finish to be different than the Classic 70's (the burst goes up the upper horn). The pickups I cannot find definitive pictures on the internet to ID.

2. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Any ideas?

3. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Bueller? Bueller?

4. flewis

flewis Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    What's it look like under the PG? Does it have the extra routing or not? If it doesn't, it could be a MIM 60's bass body.

5. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Just curious. Do the MIM basses usually have the CNC datum in the neck pocket like that? I just got a used MIM 60's roadworn and the circle is under the pickguard. I don't think I've ever seen one in the pocket like that. My MIJ fretless jazz bass has it under the bridge. What points you to MIM? The wood looks like a lot of "import" basses I've seen, however, not the provenance of MIM or MIJ or K for that matter.
    Again. Just trying to know more as I know little about the MIM stuff.

6. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I've seen alot of MIM instruments with that circle route in the neck pocket. The wood to me looked like Highway One. It's definitely MIM as there is a MZ barcode sticker in the pup pocket. Unless someone wanted to downgrade their bass with one.

7. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    No extra routing. The control plate cavity and pup cavity are isolated and the wire runs through a hole.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  9. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
  10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, those bodies look just like your's.

11. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    They don't have a center screw in the pickguard like this one has (unless the center hole is not stock)...and the finish is different. It's darker brown on those and the burst doesn't extend up the upper horn like mine. At least, that's from what I can see. It looks like my MIJ '75 more than it looks like them.

12. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    looks like 70's pickup spacing. Perhaps its all MIM 70s and all that was changed on it was the pickguard and the added thumbrest.

13. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    This looks very like the Classic 60s I once owned. I may be wrong, but the bridge pickup placement on yours looks 60s rather than 70s style.

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Not to be dismissive, but the body looks nice, and as long as it's a MIM Fender, what more do you need to know? Get the pickups you want and put a neck on it, then play it. I have an MIM Jazz and it's a great instrument...but y'know, a MIM is a MIM is a MIM. I suppose knowing a bit more detail might be nice intellectually, but it's really not worth that much additional work.

15. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY

It wouldn't matter...except that A.) I like to solve mysteries and B.) I'm selling it. I was wondering if I'd get a conclusive answer but I'm thinking I won't...but it's looking like a Reissue in any case which is cool:)

And actually, a MIM isn't a MIM isn't a MIM. I've played lots and lots of MIMs...and there's indeed a reason why there's lots and lots of 'em.

16. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Anyone got the measurement for 60's or 70's pickup spacing in relation to bridge or neck or eachother?

17. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, the center screw hole isn't stock on your body and IME, the sunburst finishes vary by quite a bit from bass to bass, both in color and the amount of black (brown), red and yellow.

these two have 70's pickup spacing and, IMO, are the same body as your's.:

Vintage 70s RI Fender Jazz BASS BODY Guitar 1970 | eBay

LOADED Vintage 70s RI Fender Jazz BASS BODY 1970 | eBay

18. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    MIM is MIM ? I think not .

Roadworn , classic and artist series are alot different than mim std they cost almost double and use completely different parts / woods /hardware. Id bet my left gonad that you have a classic 70s body,those are the same pickup codes I have on mine . Is there red paint missing under the pickguard on the treble side? and 70's spacing?

19. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    That's a piece of information I was looking for! i figured if I could find someone who could tell me where the pups are from I'd be able to get a good ID.

20. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I think it's 4" center to center for 70s spacing, 3.75" for 60s spacing.