1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mystery Bass - Can you identify it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boomer, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    Came across this in a junk pile today. I have no idea what it is or might be worth.

Any help identifying the manufacturer, model and any other info, including value, would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Probably what made that junk pile look good. Nice find!

No clue on what kind of 'find' it is.

3. I like the neck pickup!!

4. gruvit

gruvit

Jan 14, 2009
    Richland, WA
    I have no idea what it is but it's way cool! You should restore it and keep it! Or you could give it to me to do that....

5. Holmann

Holmann

Dec 23, 2005
    Ashland, WI
    I know that guy- Bulders name is John Gray, currently of Washburn, WI. As far as I know, he has no online presence (everytime I've been to his shop there are dozen's of UPS boxes with repair work inside- no need to advertise). John moved to my neck of the woods about a decade ago- pretty sure he's from Chicago- that bass is at least that old. He's been actively building snce the 70s- Adrian Belew has at least one of his guitars. Like I said, no onlne presence, but I can PM you his phone number if you want.

6. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    I haven't decided what to do with it but I'm already getting offers from you guys. Any one have a clue what this bass is worth?

Someone offered me Mr. Gray's phone number and I haven't seen that yet.

7. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    Spoke to John. Shipping it to him for a refret, electronics refurbish and whatever else it might need tomorrow. John was very reasonable and a pleasure to chat with.

8. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    John now has the bass and I'm just waiting for the estimate on restoring it to original form.

Something I didn't notice but John pointed it out, remembering this as a special order.

It has a twenty-five fret neck. What are you supposed to do way up there? I don't get much past eight or ten most of the time!

9. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Don't forget to post pics when it gets back.

10. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    Just a quick update ...

John is in process of planing the fretboard and installing new frets. The original bridge pickup is no longer made so John suggested just leaving the EMG in it as it sounded pretty good ... even with my weak fretless playing and a screwed up fretboard.

He is also refinishing a couple of spots and buffing out the entire instrument.

This is the first 25 fret bass I've ever seen but I'm pretty happy with my main bass so I'm sure it will be for sale not too long after I get it back.

John thought it would be ready next week but I'm moving then so it'll have to wait for a couple weeks ... at least!

11. I look forward to new pics and your review of your first impression of how it plays/sounds once you get it back!

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Very weird and very cool! Side note: be sure to read the rules here about asking "what's it worth".

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    John worked a LOT in my neck of the woods. He was in Champaign/Urbana Illinois forever doing repairs and custom builds. Some folks said he was the best ever, others thought he was inconsistent. My feeling is that if someone came to him with low dollars and low expectations, they got what they wanted. But if they were willing to pay for what really really good work costs, he would do exquisite work. I've played a few of his guitars and admired his repairs/mods a lot.

Good to know he's still 'round doing this.

John

14. Dang, now I really want to see the results!!!!

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I'm interested too.

16. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Looks almost like a guild Pilot shape - interesting.

Looks rather nice just by its electronics package.

17. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

Suscribed!

18. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    I spoke to John last week and he had finished everything but the setup. He must not build a lot of basses anymore as he said he had to order a set of strings.

Hopefully it'll show up this week. When I asked what I owed him, he told me $50. That wouldn't cover the strings and shipping let alone new parts, planing the fret board and re-fretting as well as going over the entire bass, cleaning thirty one years of gunk off and buffing out the finish. I sent him a check for somewhat more than he asked.

I've been fortunate over the years, finding builder and manufacturers that won't let their work become orphaned.

Thanks for the heads up on the "What's it worth?" thing. I've been a contributing member but apparently my subscription ran out last month. I suppose I should re-up.

In any case, a report and pictures when it gets here!

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Thats really cool of him to do so much work for so little. Great story and bass. Cant wait to see the finished product.