Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mystery bass duo .. who are they ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tyler Dupont, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

Hey guys, I realize this could be just about anyone but, I was watching showcase or bravo a few years ago. There were 2 bassists, one playing a DB and one guy playing an electric. They were amazing.. but this was before I was serious about bass so i didn't pay attention.. any of you know who this mystery duo could be ?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Might have been a one-off showcase - I have no clue who that could've been.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I remember seeing a PBS program (Lonesome Pine?) with Victor Wooten, Ray Brown, and the bassist from "Strength In Numbers" (Meyer?). It was a bass trio, but IIRC there were some duo parts. It was great, I would love to have a copy of that show. Also IIRC, Wooten and Brown played a song with both of them, on one bass, at the same time.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Victor Wooten and Edgar Meyer?

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yes, it was Edgar Meyer.

6. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I know it wasn't wooten ...if I remember correctly, the guy playing DB was a chubby balding guy with almost shoulder length grey hair growing from the sides... the electric guy sort of looked like jimmy haslip ?
    Also the style was fairly aggresive.. fast and made you want to move.. I checked out a few edgar meyer tunes..from yo yo ma ? If he does mostly orchestra type stuff.. then I would have to lean toward it not being him.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Must have been "Viewer Sponsor" time then. They only show anything decent like that when they want money.

8. Could it have been Alain Caron and Michel Donato? They did an album together a few years ago and it was really good. Also, at least Caron is Canadian, which might have given them even more chance of being on a Canadian network.

9. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Ive seen that about three times but I dont know who it is.

10. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    There was a 2 bass punk band from SoCal back in the early 90's called FREEBASS. They played with a drum machine.

Sounded interesting to me. Don't know what became of them though.

11. That's the one i was thinking about!